IRS...........

edited January 2013 in VENT (keep it peaceful!)
last year I started a payment plan with them totally was $4500 $65 a month well its been a year and my totally is 4,100 the interest fees are high I'm at 99% interest wth I'm never gonna pay this off I'm thinking of just giving them $1000 and tell them I can't pay them cause I have no job does any one know if it well add charges or they'll just wait till I can pay it any one advice needed

Comments

• The irs only charges about 6-7 % interest. Your problem is that your payment is to low to actually make a difference in the principal. Are you actially unemployed I mean the irs knows if you are working. They will charge interest as long as you owe them fees idk about. We owed about 6000.00 one time and made 500 payments.
  • My parents owed a bunch and were able to do some settlement w the IRS. I think u need could call em and ask about something like that. Worth a shot.
  • U need to call they will make it happen cause I'm the end they want money. And ask if u can just pay off what's left if u have they money.
  • I owe the irs and my account is currently un collectible since I dont have a job. But they will continue to charge you interest and penalties until its payed off regardless if your making payments or not.
  • They charge interest until its paid off. You original penalties should be all as long as you stick to the agreement.
  • My bf opened a 0% interest credit card and used that to pay the IRS when he owed. It saved him a lot of money in interest.
  • @char I dnt have a job my hubby pays $65 every month for me
  • @mommyof3girls scared LOL idk y
  • @jules I hope I get the strength to call LOL idk what to say I know sounds dumb
  • @Jessibear so since ur not making a payment ur penalties are adding up???
  • @char never new the interest would go up ugh its killing me
  • @starrxoxo9 my credit is poor
  • @Roxy we owed money like four years ago. I made a payment plan for $50 a month for like two years. However, whatever return we did get went straight back to them until it was finally paid off. As long as you pay something they cant come after you because they will garnish your wages. I finally got a tax return last year that i could keep.
  • @Sjmomof3 I have no income but hubby does he has fines he has to pay so most of he's tax is going to that so he can get he's L's back which I think is more important but yea I wish they can just put a hold intill I get a job or the money lol
  • It's not dumb I do that all the time I just get nervous soo I usually just run out through my head and write down few key points BC sometimes when I get nervous I forget to ask all the important questions. And then I have to call back lol
  • Yes they told me that I will continue to acquire interest and penalties until its paid off. :( I stopped paying in august when I lost my unemployment and put my account as un collectible since I couldnt afford it. The interest and penalties are the same as if you were making payments but instead of the amount I owe going down it continues to steadily rise.
  • @jules ty and GD idea on written things dwn think I'm just gonna keep paying what I can either way there gonna add interest that's what they did to Jessibear she says
  • @Jessibear middest while just pay what I can then then not paying nothing. ugh
  • When we owed they took the money right out of our tax return from the following year.
  • I haven't worked so I don't do taxes but I have heard they do that
  • Ya it sucks... Lol they suck.
  • Yes it sucks. Even when I was paying per my monthly agreement the balance barely went down. I know its cuz my payments weren't large enough. Feels like ill never pay them off. I spoke with them today and can write a letter requesting reduction of penalties due to financial hardship etc. Thinking about at least trying that to help.
  • @Jessibear same here I know its cause of a low payment. ugh well if u do write them hopefully u can give me some pointers I wouldn't know wat to say other then I'm job less lol
  • Lol thats where im stuck at too. Ill let you know though.