Oxycodone

@captivated
Can you tell me all there is to know about oxycodone used as a recreational drug? Addiction? Side effects? Withdrawal side effects?

Comments

• Withdrawal includes itching, jitters, skin crawling feeling, sweating, vomiting, etc. I'm sure there are more. It's very addictive.
  • @mrsstanley_X2 thanks. I'm not taking it. I just found out last night a close friend is addicted to it. I'm just trying to find out all I can about it.
  • It can be pretty wicked! Depending on the level of addiction it requires a weaning process!
  • edited February 2013
    Whew...where to begin? Addiction can be a very slow and unrecognizable process. Many become addicted without realizing.

Withdrawal is hell. Hot and cold sweats, restless leg, insomnia, body aches, runny nose, diarrhea, vomiting, depression and feelings of emptiness. Physical withdrawal lasts up to a week. Then users suffer from PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) which is horrid. It is the worst depression one will ever experience and can last between 6mo to two years. When abusing opiates, your brain stops producing dopamine (the happy hormone) as it gets overloaded with dopamine from the drug. It takes a long time for this to regulate after stopping and getting clean.

I suggest your friend check themselves into detox to get help and medical assistance coming off of the drug. It is very difficult to quit cold turkey on your own.

Success rates are much higher with a detox program and joining a narcotics anonymous group. Meetings are crucial. The most important thing is your friend desiring to get clean. Without this, recovery won't be possible.
  • The number one thing you can do as a friend is to be supportive and non judgmental. Your friend is likely very ashamed and humiliated that this has happened.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't really care that he does them. He doesn't want to quit. He says its the only thing that makes him happy. He says taking them is better than the withdrawal he'd go through so he keeps taking them. I have known he's done drugs for some time now, but I just found out last night what he was doing and I've never heard him say he needed them until last night.

I guess there's nothing I can do until he wants to stop. Thanks for all of the info! @captivated
  • edited February 2013
    Yes, you're right! Nothing you can do. Poor guy. They will eventually ruin his life. His tolerance will eventually skyrocket and it will become an unsustainable habit.
  • I'm curious @captivated if someone takes them only as prescribed (or less) for chronic pain then is that not considered an addiction?
  • @captivated I'm clueless when it comes to these type things. Do you know how much these cost? He's a nurse. He couldn't be getting them from someone he works with, could he?
    Anyone?
  • @wilsomom i don't think its considered and addiction when they are taken as prescribed. I used them when i had surgery and i was able to stop taking them about 5 days after the surgery. But then again, i had an abdominal binder that helped me move around, so i wasn't focused on the pain...
    It might be different with other people.
  • @wilsomom i ended up flushing away most of them cause i didn't use them all.
  • He can be stealing them at wrk or buyin them from someone...they cost maybe $20 a pill.. maybe more depending on strength...well where I live they do @1stwoodsbaby
  • There's a difference between tolerance, physical dependence and addiction. Doctors often confuse those. When someone is on long term narcotics for chronic pain, they are often physically dependent. that does not mean they are addicted. You can become addicted by never abusing your meds and taking them as prescribed, but it takes some time. As for price, it depends on what it is. Vicodin can go for about $3-7/ each. Oxycontin $20-80. So on and so forth. I would not assume he is stealing them from work.
  • They are very hard to get off of like @captivated said! I've been there done that :'( And if he doesn't wanna get off of them then he won't! But if he keeps going, his tolerance will keep going up and up and eventually he prolly won't be able to afford it. I stopped because i was on a path to heroin because it's way cheaper and the same high if not better! It took me seeing my best friends arms and the track marks from shooting heroin to scare the shit outta me! I hope he gets on the right track soon before it's too late!
  • Thanks for your story @bigbelly. He definitely won't stop. He Already hates his life & thinks its just miserable. So he'll never want to stop.
  • Then i hate to say it but he hasn't hit rock bottom yet. So there's not much you can do. Just be there for him when he does cause he's gonna need all the help he can get! :-(