Anyone's baby get a rash from antibiotics?

edited February 2013 in Babies Health
My daughter started taking amoxicillin 6 days ago for an ear infection. Yesterday I noticed a rash on her forehead and neck line. I am wondering if that means she might be allergic to penicillin.

Comments

• My daughter got one all over her Noah from amoxacillin her doctor said it was a possible side effect from it. I'm allergic to amoxacillin and my husband is allergic to penacillin so from now on we will avoid them with her.
  • My LO got a rash from it but as long as it doesn't seem to bother them or look like hives its pretty normal.
  • Lauren and I are both allergic to amoxicillin. Developing a rash from it is not normal. If the rash doesn't spread to everywhere and her breathing is okay it should pass on it's own. It does need to me mentioned to her pedi so that the next time she's given an antibiotic he can prescribe one outside of the amoxicillin family. If the rash spreads or her breathing patterns change she needs to be seen to check oxygen levels. Depending on her age you can give her benedryl if. The rash is bothersome.
  • I was told by my LO's pediatrician that most times its normal, she called it an amox rash or amoxocillin rash. It looked like a fever rash.
  • @morgdeebee @excitedforoctober @mrs4c
    Thanks ladies for your help...I guess since it seems minor & hasn't spread I will just keep using the antibiotics this time but I will tell the Dr so next time a different type can be used
    My lo is so sensitive, her skin breaks out easi
  • My son started with the rash and the second day his neck throat mouth were swelling closed. Be careful
  • Yea it could b normal... my daughter was drinking that too for an ear infection and she broke out in a rash all over her body and face so i took her in because i thought she was allergic to it since im allergic to it but the dr said she wasnt allergic to it thats just the body fighting the infection and that i was normal
  • I wouldn't advise to continue with the antibiotics. A rash is an allergic reaction and despite what some places say, it isn't a normal reaction. Something in your child's body is rejecting the medication. Any patient I've ever had that acquired a rash from an antibiotic is advised to discontinue and it is then listed as an allergy in their chart and they are no longer given that class of abx.
  • Do NOT discontinue antibiotics mid treatment without first consulting the doctor, it could make the infection worse.
  • @excitedforoctober is correct. Must consult doctor to ensure you have a prescription to switch to. I would only advise my patients on the phone to discontinue their next dose until the doctor got back to me to call in a different rx. If there is an allergic reaction, the risks outweigh the benefits in continuing. This is why you definitely need to consult your doctor. I had no doctors in my practice that would advise any patient to continue once a reaction had occurred. Your doctor may believe otherwise.
  • My daughters doctor said the same as @excitedforoctober that it was an amoxacillin rash
  • My daughter has used it many times for an ear infection and has never broken out in a rash. Doesn't it give warnings on the label like if developing a rash stop taking? I could be wrong. But I would call the doc asap!
  • @captivated
    Her rash never spread or got any worse so I kept giving it to her since we were already halfway done. I took her Friday for a follow up appt. I showed the rash to the doctor & she said it wasn'tfrom the antibiotics. She had only finished the antibiotics the day before so the rash was still present. I'm sorry but I totally disagree with the Dr. Because today the rash is almost gone. I hate when doctors act like they know something & they are totally wrong. This Dr was covering for my pediatrician because she is on maternity leave. I will make sure at her next appt that a convey that she had a reaction to amoxicillin & not to give her that kind of antibiotic again .