last name???

edited March 2011 in Single moms
Should I give my son his daddys last name even though his dad is not around?

Comments

• Depends on y he's not around. ;) good daddy I say his name. Bad dad I say yours
  • YOurs if the dad isnt around
  • Honestly the dad could be one of 2. One guys wants to be around and already a good dad to his daughter so if its his ill use his last name. But I think the baby is my ex's. He wants nothing to do with me. He says his obligations aren't to me they are to the kid so we don't talk. He claims he will be around if its his but he's not very nice. His ex before me had a baby that he claims isn't his and refuses to take a test cause its too expensive. Its different with boys though cause the last name will never change.
  • Well with my son, I gave him my last name even though I was, and still am with his dad just since we hadn't been going out very long when I had my son. This time we've been together 4 years so far so i'm giving our little girl his last name. When my son's older i'll give him the options to change it to his dad's last name if we're still together. It depends whether or not you are on good terms with the dad and if they are going to be involved. Good luck with what you decide! :-)
  • I think u shud get a test done before u give the baby one of their names. Im n the same boat as you . Im giving my baby my last name til I find out who the dad is .
  • Im still deciding on whether or not to give my son his daddys name...its a bumpy road between me n my bd but he is being supportive and doing whatever he can before his son is born...and I know he will be devastated if i didnt give him his last name...So im leaning toward daddys last name. but I feel like if the dads not helping or putting any effort ..it would be perfectly fine if you give him your last name :)
  • Okay. Right now he's got some new gf and every time I text him he tells me to leave him alone : ( sooo mean!!!! So I'm leaning towards my last name. Does that effect child support?
  • edited March 2011
    I'm going to hyphenate my child's name....it will b my last name 1st but that I decided to give the baby his last name. For me I want my child to have the same last name as me
  • @hayhay In order for u to collect child support they have to do a DNA test
  • At first I was all for giving my child their dads last name. But now I have decided to give them mine. I know my bd will always be in the kids life but if we break up the child will be mainly in my care. This way it is much easier to do things like insurance for the child, enrolling them in school and just all around proof that they are my kid. And if daddy decides he doesnt want to be a daddy (god forbid) it will make it a little easier on the kid to not have thier deadbeatdads last name. I know from experience. If the babys father and I get married then I have no problem changing the kids last name, as well as mine, to his :)
  • My child has her fathers last name n this one will too. (Same father) ive never had n issue with insurance or school because of the birth certificate n the fact that she came from me. Its hard to say because I'm not n ur situation but I feel like if the father is willing to b n the child's life let him have that right because if u guys aren't married there is not any other right that they have. Besides child support.
  • @hayhay No you can still get child support no matter the last night. But there will have a to be a DNA test to prove he's the father, then you'll get child support!
  • Also I've never had a problem proving my daughter is mine even though we have different last names. No hospital, school, nothing has ever asked me for any additional proof other than "are you the mom" "yes" and that was that
  • Well right now this little boy is getting my last name. The dad hasn't shown any interest up to this point so why should I believe him when he says he will be there after the baby is born? Why would I want to associate my son with his dad anyways he's a dead beat. The way I see it now is if he's around and makes an effort he can pay to have the name changed.
  • My oldest daughter has ny last name....her dad wasn't around till she was about a year old....he then cane around whenever he wanted.....now she's 14 and hasn't seen him in over a year.....i made the right decision in giving her my last name......she loves it too.:) and for child support they will just do a super simple .na test using the cells/saliva on the inside cheek. My last name she(we were married at the time...but i never took his name) been divorced for 9 years and have never had any issues since we have different last names.....its way too common in this day and age.