Please Help - Work Related Issue - Please Help

edited February 2013 in Current Events
My mother-in-law has been working with a company for over 11 years. During that time the company was taken over by a brand new company and underwent a name change, however, she remained an employee of theirs and worked several different accounts. The company she initially started working for hired employees to START at $12.00 hourly, since being taken over, they now start at $10.00. She was making $17hr and was cut to $15hr because of the change about 4 years ago. She has never had any disciplinary write ups, unexcused tardiness and any hours she missed, she came in the later part of the afternoon to complete which for their company is completely acceptable. Recently because the account that she was on being graded by customer experience survey's, her number's declined -- That particular acct was experiencing call failures and poor service statewide & her negative scoring for 2 and a half weeks was a direct result of service issues that she had no control of for those customer's. Well anyways, she was told she had to leave the account even though her supervisor advised her that Feb would start a clean slate for her review status to change. Not only are they removing her from the account, they want to downshift her pay to only $12hr! Is there anything she can do to fight this? Is it legal? My heart is hurting for her because this is how she makes her living. She's already started to apply to other jobs, but I think this is completely wrong. How can a person be employed for nearly 12 years with a company, only drop numbers ONCE during that time and be reduced to a pay of only $12hr???? Anyone with even an opinion on where to go, it doesn't even need to be specific. I just need a hint on what to do to get it going.

Comments

• Any advise would be appreciated! BUMP
  • I'm not sure. I'd check out if she has a contract with this new company. If she does, you need to read through it all. If she doesn't, you should have a website for your state that has all the labour laws. That should give you an insight as to what they can/can't do, and what you can do about it.
  • I agree she needs to look into the company policy BC if there's anything that states they at any time can change her last rate sure due to whatever reason there's nothing she can do but it might not have that therefore she can go by general labor laws of the state. I sure hope everything works out it sure sounds very wrong.
  • @jules & @natashalynn thanks guys, I will look into out states labor laws and see if she can get her contract information