Couple things. Potty training. Hitting. Meal plan

edited February 2013 in Potty Training
Quick info. Mason. Almost 15 months. Breastfed. Only child. Dads been deployed since 6weeks, came home in Nov.

First thing: How and when did you potty train?

Second thing and most important: Why is my child hitting so much?! He hits other kids, us, the dog. At first I was thinking he is just patting "petting" us like the dog. But now its becoming more hurtful and often. Even when I am breastfeeding him he had to pinch, hit my chest or even my face. Its so aggravating!
What we've tried: smacking his had or butt. Holding his hands and looking him in his eye and telling him NO HITTING. Both soft stern voice and loud stern voice. Time out in his room. Extra attention(before the hitting) ignoring him after he's hit. He just laughs at us. Thinks its funny.
Is this just him learning or what? He gets so excited, screeches, balls his fist up, and shakes his hands in the air and/or hits. Mainly our backs or face/head.

HELP!!

Also what do you feed your kiddo? We are super picky and give both BM, baby food and adult food.

Comments

• I would distract him rather then time out or hitting back. I don't think time out would be best at this age. And of u hit they just learn that it's ok and then that it's a game. Soo next time just say gentle show him how u want him to touch u. And then move on to a toy or something. Stay consistent and he will change
  • My son gets excited and will hit sometimes, out ofexcitement, not to be mean.. So what we have done is say in a very calm voice "be nice" or "ve gentle" and take his hand and show him what nice is (stroke mommys face with his hand and say "nice") now he will voluntarily say "nice" and rub my face. If he continues a behavior because he thinks my reaction is funny, I will put him down and walk away. I also think time outs don't work at this age. My son is 17 months.
    Hope this helps.
  • ahhhh my daughters same age and im having same probs

• My son is 16mo and he hits so bad. I constantly say "soft hands" and "gentle" which lasts for a second and then he hits anyway. If you figure out a good solution post it because I'm super frustrated as well.
  • Smack those hands my son stopped hitting when he figured out it hurts. It only took a couple times with a firm no.
  • @char I've tried smacking my son back and the firm no but it seems to make him even more angry. Like my son knows that it bad but he'll hit me or worse bite me when he's upset.
  • You can potty train whenever. Lauren transitioned from cloth diapers to elimination communicator at 9 months. She loves her potty! Most parents start around 18-24 months.
  • Keegan is 15 months also and eats everything we eat. She isn't picky at all.
  • Pick a punishment and stick with one, it will take a while but he will eventually learn. We just grab hands and say no firmly.
  • @my2boys agreed

I smacked aj hands then looked him in the eyeand told him no. You have to let them know who is boss.

I don't by into if u hit it teaches them it okay. Um nope I got hit and it taught me that I didn't want todo whatever I did again.
  • I've been telling my daughter no, then say "nice", and I hold her hand and touch my face softly with her hand say nice again. Now when she hits I tell her "nice", and she kisses me and touches me softly.
  • My daughter will be 18 months in a couple weeks and haven't started potty training. She'll be starting school next month and they'll be potty training her, so I guess I'm forced to stick with it it.

When she was 15 months she would hit too. I read that they do to get a reaction on your face. They don't do it because they know it's wrong. Simply hold their hands down firmly (when they hit) and firmly say "no". Just stick to it, they'll get it.

Hitting. The only time I've ever popped her hand is when she slams doors or tries to grab hot things. And that's for her own safety. Other than that I don't believe in hitting.