Bringing baby on a plane. What should I know? I need help!!

edited February 2013 in Equipment & Supplies
My daughter will be 6 months soon and we are going to visit her great grandma. We were thinking about getting one of those back pack carriers and skipping the stroller. But then what about her carseat? Also does anyone know what they allow for formula through security? It is a long flight. Seattle to florida. I am very nervous!

Comments

• You can take a diaper bag as your carry-on. Formula is powder, so it shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to check your car seat with the rest of your luggage.
  • You can check the carseat for free at the counter. Formula/breast milk is allowed. They just hold a detector over it to test for hazardous material. If you take a backpack carrier it might be easier ( if you don't need a stroller where your going). But you will still have to pull your baby out of it to go thru security.
  • I'm not sure but I think formula regulations depend on the airline/airport airports if you will have a layover. I know they are a bit more lenient with formula than other fluids but not by much. :(

Maybe just do powder and purchase bottled at the airport as needed. Might get expensive. Or call the airlines before you purchase your tickets and ask if the flight attendants are able to provide you with bottled on the flight.

Make sure you bring plenty of things to entertain her during the flight. Also something for her to suck on or eat during take off/landing (ears popping can hurt her - not massively but it is enough to send babies into crying fits)

You might also want to consider buying a seat for her, even if it is for that extra bit of privacy or ability for her to move around. Not to mention the extra carry on you'll get - if you don't have to check a bag that could mean you won't have to wait around for a half hour (or longer) with a fussy baby.
  • There are no regulations for formula, powder or not. Every airport has the same FAA requirements. All they do is pass it under a reader to make sure what's in it isn't bad. @mathair
  • Thanks,@ashley_smashley I wasn't sure, when my son was an infant things were still fairly tight and I had to dump formula. It pissed me off big time. Good to know they got their heads out of their behinds.
  • My son was 10 months on his first flight. We left really early so he slept most of the way. His ticket was a waste bc he slept on me, unless u want to bring a car seat then u will need a ticket gor her.
  • My daughter was 6 months with her first flight. You can take your normal diaper bag. Formula, bottles and all. Do NOT put water in your bottles (for powered formula) until AFTER you get through security. I already had my bottles filled with water and they had to recheck my bag and dump the water out.
    Try to work nap time around the flight. We did that and Keegan slept the entire time one flight. On the way down she just looked around. We didn't have an issue with her ears popping. But I've heard babies sucking their paci or a bottle helps a lot.
  • I have traveled with nyla & i used a moby wrap & didnt have to take her out to go thru security. And i always had my breastmilk in her Baby bottles & they never poured out the milk they just scan it with a machine. I loved the moby wrap better than a stroller bc she stays attached to me at all times even on the plane. She slept every time we get on a plane & wakes up when we have a layover. Stroller & carseat gets checked in with luggage. Im actually flying 2moro & im so not looking foward to it lol but im used to it by now. Nylas been on the plane about 8 times now n its always been From SF to Ga, Or kentucky Or tennessee lol. Good luck
  • I've flown several times with my son. They have never made me dump the water out of the bottles! I'm on vacation right now and actually had chamomile tea in the bottles this time and they still didn't make me dump it. They just check it all.I always wear my soon through security and never have to take him out, it's a million times easier than carrying him through security. And if the airport has once of those xray things you go through it guarantees you don't have to go through it. They just scan you with a Wand and wipe your hands. I usually have a pillow and my diaper bag with me plus my soon didn't actually like the carrier so I still bring my stroller and just check it at the gate. Also I have a bag meant to hold the car seat (specifically meant for being checked at the airport) and just check it with the rest of my luggage, it's free cuz it's a baby necessity. But they don't make you dump your formula or water.
  • You can usually take a carry on plus a personal item (diaper bag/purse/laptop etc.) I always brought a carrier but will have to do double stroller from now on. The carseat is free to check and will go with the rest of your luggage. Formula/breastmilk is allowed through security.
  • Bring extra clothing for your lo and yourself.
    Blow outs tend to happen, accidents and such.

I've been to the Denver, Phoenix and Minneapolis air port and never had to take my son out of his carrier when going through security.

Though o do have a question. I'll be flying in May, are those baby food pouches aloud through security? I didn't need food last time I flew.
  • I think as long as they're sealed shut, yes. I accidentally brought an apple juice from mcdonalds with me, it was unopened. All they did was wipe it and test the outside of the box. And it was 6+ ounces. I think it may depend on who the security person is and how lenient they are. I would say take a couple and just hope they let you keep it.
  • Thanks. Ours is three flights, two lay overs before we reach our destination. Lol, and my lo has food allergies, so I want to be able to give him something in case I can't find anything at the air ports
  • I just flew two weeks ago with the fruit pouches... Like gerber grabbers??? I'm not sure what they are called. Kci took them out to inspect but indianapolis didn't blink an eye at then. Lol