U TELL ME IF IM WRONG

my dads car is in my name and he's under my insurance. when he ask me to do this I didn't want to but I felt sry for him and the agreement was hell pay my insurance. well I found out he kinda crashed and has crashed before. I guess he falls asleep do to he's meds well any ways I told him he shouldn't be driving when he's on he's meds. cause if something happens I'm the one gonna get in trouble. all he was saying I know I know I dnt want to here it. I got mad and went off I said u r gonna here it I'm gonna get in trouble ur not and then wat ect. he goes well ill just get my own insurance I said good now I dnt have to worry and he hanged up on me. like really its not my fault u can't drive ugh I'm also gonna sign the pink slip over to him I'm done I worry every month because of this ladies I'm not mean right

Comments

• BTW he was given 6 months to live cause he's sick dnt really know of what I just hope if something happens to him this dnt bother me cause we haven't talk since so yea
  • You shouldn't take that kind of responsibility. Cancel your insurance policy and let him get his own insurance however he can. If he doesn't want to be responsible then that's fine, but he cannot drag you into his problems.
  • edited March 2013
    My father in law is the same way. He always tries to manipulate my husband but i put a stop to it every single time. Like this one time my father in law had a stroke so he told my husband to take his truck and that we were allowed to use it until he was completely recovered. So i was trying to be nice so i told my husband "if we're gonna use his truck, its only fair that we pay the insurance for it as well" so we took over his insurance payment because we were using the truck. Well about a week or so later, my father in law tells my husband that we should buy the truck new tires. So my husband says "sure ok". When my husband told me about this, hell broke lose. My father in law takes more care of this truck than he does of himself. This truck's tires were no more than 5 months old. You could tell by just looking at them that the tires were new. I told my husband that we were not buying the truck new tires unless we used the truck long enough for it to actually need the new tires. So my husband had a talk with my father in law and long story short, he took the truck away because we wouldn't buy new tires when his were perfectly fine.
    Im not a cheapo. If we would've used his truck long enough to require any kind of maintenance done to it while in my care, i would've taken care of that. But don't tell me to take your truck, and then try to take advantage of me by making me spend unnecessary money on your truck. Ever since, i refuse to take anything from him.
  • It's not just the insurance you have to worry about. If your dad gets in a accident and (God forbid) kills someone or injures them, their going after you. If the insurance can only cover a certain amount and the injured party is asking for more than their going after your assets. And if they investigate and find out that you knew about the pills and knew your father was driving your car in that state they can hold you responsible.

• I don't think your wrong at all! He shouldn't be driving. He could hurt, not only himself, but others as well. As far as him getting his own insurance, that's great idea because all his crashes will raise your rates.
  • How would you be responsible? If he is on your insurance as an authorized driver, the insurance covers anything that happens while he is driving the car. If anyone was to be sued, it would be your father as there would be no legal grounds to sue you upon. He would get a DUI, not you. The driver of the vehicle is responsible for everything that occurs while driving as he is on the insurance.

Take the car from him. It is your car and in your name or tell him he needs to buy the car from you and have the title signed over to him.
  • @captivated She is responsible bc the car is in her name not her fathers. You are ultimately responsible for anything that happens in ur vehicle unless stolen. They would sue insurance, father and then her if it was something that exceeded the insurances responsibility.
  • The insurance is responsible for all damages. Anyccosts not covered under the insurance would then be the drivers responsibility in any claims court. If he was not under the insurance, only then could she be responsible for those costs. Since he is, she could not be held liable in court.
  • However, she would be responsible for the deductible to fix her/his vehicle. In that case, she needs to have him stop driving her car or sign the car to him. Pretty easy fix.
  • I would take the car. I am guessing he is not allowed to drive bc of his condition or shouldn't be driving. Not to get you mad but if u know he is falling asleep at the wheel and you do not take the car or make him transfer it out of your name anything that hsppens is just as much your fault. This comes from ten years of driving over the road andseeing to many accidents that should not have happened. I have offten thought about highway patrol bc people piss me off in cars. I would be the one that gave a ticket for anything and everything.
  • @captivated You like research and your wrong so start that computer up. You are always responsible for any vehicle in you name. Insurance is only required to pay what you policy limits aren therefore if she has state minimum 12, 500 (in ohio) and he causes 100, 000 in damage her and her father would be sued by the victims.
    They could take everything she has if he messed up bad enough.
  • Also even a finance company will tell u that if theyknow what ur planning
  • @char agreed. If her father has no assets for the victim to go after than they'll go after hers. Been there done that.
  • @perly I already called my insurance and well be taking the car off my policy and I told he's friend to give him the message cause I dnt have any thing to say to him since he wants to be doing this behind my back and not trying to hear me and make me feel if I'm wrong screw him

wow that's crazy on ur father n law he's the one that offered the truck to u guys and totally agree if u had used the truck long enough then yeah get him some tiers but he's crazy

• @monkey_girl also what I'm worried about. I berly found out about he's driving so mad
  • @sands3 so true and if he still drives after I take him off my shit how selfish can he be knowing he can't drive
  • @captivated I'm sure ill get in trouble n some way and my insurance well go even higher and when he dies then I'm stuck for life hell with that not taking any chances
  • edited March 2013
    @char its not my car its his I just put it under my name for him and I didn't know he was driving like this I was berly told from him cause he tryed to blame my sis for him crashing like who does that he said she wasn't paying attention to he's driving that she was to bizy on her phone wth he had some nerve to say that
  • Better to be safe than sorry.
  • @roxy yeah make sure that both are taken off your name, the car and insurance so that way you are not liable in anyway possible.

Yeah my father in law has issues. My husband isn't talking to him right now cause he wanted us to claim his phone stolen so they could send him a new one and he could give it to his daughter, but he wanted us to pay the $130 for the replacement phone. Again, i had to be the bad cop and say no. If he didn't gives up the money to pay, then we weren't going to do anything.
  • @perly the bad part is he paid for the month of March I would have to wait till the 18th of March to take him off the insurance OMG I'm so screwed if something happens

OMG ur father n law is crazy this is y I hate asking family members or friends for any thing cause later they need a favor or so even though they still ask sometimes but I dnt feel bad saying no