Tattoos

edited March 2013 in Parenting
Would you allow your teen to get a tattoo? My older kids have all begged for one since about age 14 & I've always just said flat out no...it's too permanent & their tastes will likely change as an adult.

It really seems to be such a part of our culture now a days though, & I'm just wondering what everyone else's perspective is.

Comments

• Maybe if its in an easy to cover place and you have to approve of it. Nothing drug or gang related
  • My mom said nope! I was allowed a belly button and nose ring but she said tattoos were too permanent. She said I could once I lived on my own. I now have four tattoos and honestly I regret all of them. I made them on a young, immature impulse after moving out! Lol. Luckily they are mostly in hidden places.
  • Well I think once they are old enough to do it without having to have your permission is when they can have one. Before that they are too young and most likely will get something stupid. My parent don't like them so I waited until I was old enough and told them I was going to do it ahead of time. But I didn't get anything stupid it was very meaningful and I always tell people to have drawing of what they want and have it hang on their bedroom wall that way of there is something they don't like it can still be changed. My first one I had up for a year before I had it done and didn't make any changes BC I knew it was exactly what I wanted and 5 years later I still love it. So my opinion keep saying no until they can legally do it on their own and pay for it.
  • I have plenty of tattoos and regret none. Dh has 2 of his own. Neither of our parents had any and myparents were very opinionated about being against them. That being said they don't love me any less because of them. I did wait until I was 18 so it was my choice. If my kids want them, they also have to wait until they are of legal age. Its their body and I will respect their decisions.
  • I waited until I was 18 and I'm so glad I did, our lives can change so much in just a few months. My parents are against tattoos, so they refused to pay. My opinion is that if you're going to make such a dramatic change to your body, you should foot the bill.
  • Not until they are 18 is gonna be my rule.
  • When they turn 18 my children can do what ever alternation they want to their bodies. Until then, my house my rules.
    I'll allow girls to get their ears piercedwhen i knknow they are mature enough to take care of them.

But until then.... Nope, nothing permanent
  • My mom allowed my 2 youngest sisters when they turned 16. The art had to be pre approved tho. She is pretty liberal tho. So "your body, your choice". Is the way it goes. My sisters are also very good kids. Get great grades, and don't act out. I will have the same thoughts on it when my LO turns 16. But my husband and I are also covered in tattoos. Also, the other rule was that the tat had to be easily covered (for jobs).
  • My mom was ok with me getting one but in CA you have to be 18 so I had to wait anyway. Even with her permission and my birth certificate every place we went to said no until 18, so your kids may have to wait too. Check out the laws in your area to see if you even can.
  • edited March 2013
    It's interesting to hear all your stories. I'm definitely gonna stick with my 18 rule, then if they do it on their own I won't have any problem with it. I'm not against tattoos in & of themselves, just against doing it so young.
  • My dad signed to get my first when I was 17. But I had the design for almost a year before getting it. I wanted it for grad, ans would be 18 in under two months. Although I probably wouldn't get the same thing now, I still like it. Its a pretty design, out of sight most of the time, and it reminds me of a chapter of my life. My mom was against itbut my dad had a tattoo, so he took me yto where he got his. Much safer to go there then to get one in a back alley he said. Lol
  • Depends on the kid if they have their heads on straight maybe. So many thing change tho. You know even between 20 and thirty u grow and change so much.
  • I have a few tattoos too and if I would have gotten the ones I wanted to get when I was 15/16 yrs old I would be kicking myself in the ass right now! In the end u are doing them a favor :)
  • I also want to note that I'm not against tattoos. I just personally don't see the need for them so young. If they really want one they can spend that time planning and choosing what they want. :)
  • I always wanted one but could never find anything I wanted on my body forever. A heart or a butterfly, yeah I don't think so.lol. I am going to get my kids and hubby's name around my wrist like a bracelet. Something that I know I can live with forever.

Just wondering are these the kids that are acting out so bad? If so this would be a reward not a punishment n I think that a concession like that should come with being valedictorian or something super duper good.
  • I got one when I was fifteen behind my father's back...needless to say, its horrendous.
  • My mom told me "when you leave my house, you can get a tattoo on your ass, a piercing in your vagina and run naked down the street if you'd like... but only when you live on your own."
    I have two tattoos. I got both of them at the age of 20. They are both small and easy to cover up.
    It basically comes down to whether you approve of them or not. My mom doesn't approve of them, that's why she didn't allow me to get one while living under her roof. If you approve of them, but would like them to do get them done when they don't necessarily need you, then yeah the 18yr rule is just fine.
  • I did my first one at 18 for respect for my mom
  • 18.....I got the cartilage of my ears pierced at 18 tattoo at 22 (which I regret) nose and lip piercing at 26 (which I've already done away with the lip ring after only 3 yrs) minds do change
  • Yes @char it's the ones that are acting out. I'm not letting them do it, I just wondered what other's opinions were. Also, my oldest daughter who didn't act out. She's 20 now & still doesn't have one. Lol

I can just imagine me letting them, then in 10 years them holding it against me like "why'd you let me do that?!"
  • We weren't allowed anything but belly button,eyebrow or ear peircing I'm the house. My mom didn't approve of tattoos but said we needed to be out of the house before we got them. I got one when I was still at home when I was 18 although my mom didn't find out later when I was already living at another place lol. I have three now but they're all in places you can easily cover up if I wanted to. Personally I would wait until my nods were 18 and understood what they get is permanent.
  • NO! My parents let me get a tattoo when I was 15 on my leg (calf) and I don't like it anymore. I love tattoo and have many others but like u said.. Tastes change as adults. I'm kinda mad at my parents for even letting me do it. :/
  • @mommyof3girls yeah that's what I'm saying...I don't want them to look back & say why did you let me do that.

As parents we have to protect our kids, even from themselves.
  • @wilsomom Do you think it would take ten years? Lol
  • @char ha ha probably not!
  • I honestly think that the best thing you can do is let them decide whether to get a tattoo or not once they are old enough to do it without your consent.

That way, if for any reason they ever regret that tattoo they can't blame you for it.
  • Everyone is different, for me my mom let me get my first one at 15. Its small and completely hidden (now that I think about it, its not even visible when I wear a bikini! I wont say where it is and I was 15 when I it!) But my mom only did it to "win me over". I didnt live with her while growing up and she only did it to spite my dad bcuz he wouldn't let me have one. And my dad is the greatest maybe I should have respected his rule more. He didn't find out about it for about 4 months but I still dont regret it to this day. Actually I dont even think about it its so discreet I even forget about it. All my other ones I got after 18 and some of those I do regret lol
  • The first thing I would ask is why do you want a tattoo? As a teenager, most reasons for wanting a tattoo are ridiculous. I would also explain that if they are truly comfortable with their bodies and happy with their self image, then there's no reason to alter it! They may not come out and agree with you (most hard headed teens won't lol) but I guarantee they'll at least think twice about it!
  • I would say no i have 13 and some I hate ...id tell them to think about it for a couple years after 18