Help!!! My son is hurting me

edited March 2013 in Ages & Stages
My 17mo is soooo freakn aggressive! Mostly to me but to my hubby as well here lately. He hits and bites but his new thing is to claw and scratch. He's scratched my face twice where it's drawn blood and got my hubby's arm to bleed once. We don't get any complaints from his daycare and when other family members babysit he doesn't do it to them. I don't get it, he hits me or hurts me, says owe and then laughs like its funny to hurt mommy. I'm starting to think my kid is a violent sociopath! Please help I don't know how to handle this.

Comments

• He gets really mad and aggressive when I'm doing something he doesn't like, like cleaning ears or suctioning his nose, and gets all agro too.
  • Talk to family members and find out what they are doing to prevent him from hitting them. Aj only gets mad and screams and I let him scream it out. He figured out a while ago if he hits me I will smack his hands or pop his mouth for biting.
  • @char I smack his hands for hitting me and it only seems to make him more aggressive. He's very loving with everyone else but me.
  • Have you tried leaving the room after he does it? If Madison is super super fussy I'll lay her in the crib and she'll chill until she's ready to get up. Maybe try taking him directly to his crib saying "we don't hit/scratch mommy" of course don't leave him in there for long but it may work
  • Ok after I posted that I felt bad, please do not just leave him in there (not that I'm saying you will) just enough to show him that it isn't good behavior (2 mins?) then go in and give cuddles
  • Mine does the same exact things. I'm at my wits end...
  • @captivated what do you do? It's like every time my son reaches for my face I pull away because I'm afraid of him hurting me. Tonight was the second time he drew blood from scratching my face. He thinks its funny and laughs when I saw ouch or no.
  • My 17mo does that too. I make her stand like 30sec-1min in the corner in time out. She sleeps in a toddler bed so cant do time outs in a crib.
  • Also sometimes saying NO-NO works to
  • We've also taught her to rub her hand down my cheek or whoevers she was scratching and say either "ooo pretty" or "nice". Those are like safety words. If you say pretty or nice alot of times she'll stop and rub our face. We did it everytime she got to scratching and digging at someone's face. Just took her hand and rubbed it down the side of my face saying ooo pretty or nice a few times. Eventually it stuck.
  • It sounds like he doesn't take your scolding seriously. You might want to step it up a notch & be more firm & serious before it gets too out of control.
  • I have tried so many things. Scolding, flicking hand, swatting butt, reasoning, timeouts, taking what he's throwing at my head and putting it away, moving him and sittig him down. Taking him to crib...nothing works. He continues to throw things at my head, scratch my arms and face, hit my face...:(
  • My 19 month does the same thing. He pulls my hair, bites me, scratches me and grabs my glasses and throws them. I don't know what to do either :/ it drives me crazy!
  • Ok @capivated I feel better knowing its not just my kid because what you're saying sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with. I am going to try and step up my game @wilsomom because I know he doesn't take me seriously at all.
  • Thank you everyone for the input, I was about to lose it last night.
  • I do what @steph_due_101611 does! It has worked but you have to stick with it. Tell him gentle and hold his hand and run it down your cheek while saying gentle. And do it every time he starts to hit or scratch! My son was doing the same thing so i started doing that. Stick with it momma. He will get it :)
  • I hope it helps, I'm sure it must be frustrating...he's probably gotten used to seeing your reaction & response. Try not to make a big deal of it except the firm no & a swat. (or whatever method you use) Maybe that will work.
  • He doesn't take me seriously either. He thinks it is ffuny despite any kind of reprimand. My daughter was never like this. It has to be a boy thing?
  • Funny* my phone won't let me backspace here! It just deletes random letters.
  • My 17mo old is the same way, but he is nice to everyone else.
  • I think it's more of a personality thing, but boys do have more tendency toward that aggressive personality that's for sure.
  • I have a girl. A very aggressive girl with a brattitude
  • So glad that everyone posted. Xavier. Is 19 months and turning in to a little hellion i am wondering if swatting him for hitting and throwing things is making it worse. Now i ask him if he wants a spanking he says no but continues to act amuck god give me strength sometimes i want to strangle him.i also try time out he just screams at the top of his lungs till i get him out.
  • It is so nice to know I'm not alone. One of my patients suggested I use the play pen as a time out space and I'm going to try that. To all of you who have little bastards like mine, we can do this!
  • My 18 month old son does the same but not just to me to everyone took him into my work the other day my boss was holding him n he smacked her in the face a few times n pulls mine n my daughters hair
  • @frantastic lol at little baster comment i would never say that out loud but i do feel like that some times. that is what i use is a playpen he just screams till i pick him up i could let him scream for hours( i don't only a few minutes ) hope the idea works better for you.
  • My son us 16month old has been the same way. But he does it with everyone. I believe he has a case of spoiled rottenness. He getting better since myself and others are working with him.
    I've been telling ppl to quit giving into him no means no. So in return he gets mad and throws a fit. Depending on what he does.

Head butting, biting, and scratching gets a pop on the butt firmly telling him he hurt me and thqtwe don't do that then ignored for few minutes. May seem mean but it seems to work.

Hiting: gets firmly told no and he hurt mommy ,told to give me loves and then ignored.

Being unruly: example getting into no nos gets the count out and then if he continues count out then pop his hand. I then watch him like a hawk waiting to yell no lol. It so cute when he knows he caught.

Finally no laughing then he will do it because its funny. That goes for everyone.
    I had to get on to my daddy he was laughing when he headbutted someone or something.