Zofran Pumps?

edited March 2013 in Pregnant
Has anyone here ever had one? I called my OB today about the morning sickness I'm having, vomiting between 10-20 times per day and terrible, debilitating nausea. I have previously had HG, so she mentioned that a zofran pump may be the best option considering the already high risk pregnancy and her wanting to get control over it early on. she said we could go the route of a pump or picc line. For those that have had it, how annoying was it? Will it effect class that I have twice a week? How was your daily life and upkeep with it?

Comments

• I've never had either but my sil had the picc line. She hated it, it was very uncomfortable and hurt. She had to cover her whole arm to shower. She had it in til she was 20 weeks. But that's all I really know about it. She had to go to the hospital every other day for infusions.
  • Oh hell no. She said I could push the zofran in the picc. If it requires a hospital visit every other day, that's just ridiculous. I'll take the pump instead. right now I'm on the zofran and she gave phenergan suppositories for before bed to see if that will help more before taking any more serious measures. Of course, id like to avoid the pump. To give it time and see if I can find something to help unlike last time. @smcox. I think with the pump you still have to have it covered. I know very little about them though .
  • I've never even heard of that what is the pump exactly? I hope the first few things start working for u so u don't have to go through the trouble of the pump or the line both sound uncomfortable from what I'm picturing in my mind right now.
  • I think the pump is similar to an insulin pump? I haven't looked it up yet. There's a tiny needle that goes into your belly and a little pump that the zofran goes in and it infuses into your body all day long. She said home health would be involved, but that I could do everything myself. Is have to test my ketones daily and have fluid infuse as well. which confuses me. So does that mean im walking around with a freaking IV pole all day with fluids? Or only when needed. What am I supposedtto do, hang it out my truck's window? Lmao! @Jules. but no, in all reality, this is worse than anything ive experienced. Just preparing food for my son causes me to vomit everywhere. I went to bed last night at 5pm and woke up at 7am today! I am drained. Can't eat anything. barely can keep down water or ginger ale. Sea bands arent helping me, saltines, tried beans, chicken soup, everything under the sun besides the preggie pops or whatever they're called. unfortunately, i doubt it will work. HG doesn't go away no matter what ya try.
  • Im on zofran now as we speak and its failing me :(
  • That doesn't sound fun at all. They don't have it in a pill form? I can't imagine something stuck to me all day but its better then not being able to eat or do anything. Let me know how it goes its freaking me out little and I'm not the one who has to do it
  • The pills just don't work for me. I've been taking them @Jules. I have the dissolveable ones that make me throw up. So she gave me an rx for regular pills. They didn't help in the past. It only helps IV for me.
  • I see man u must be so miserable right now I'm sorry. When can u have the pump put in if that's what u decide to try?
  • :( maybe these is a way for you to do the picc line at home if she said at home care. I only know what my sil told me so I'm really no help, sorry. And I had never heard of the pump. I'm sure my sil would have appreciated that cuz I don't think her hospital was very close.
  • @Jules, I have my appointment on the 22nd. If I can't continue to keep fluids down, I need to go in for some fluids. If that's the case, they'll probably prescribe it prior.

@smcox, yeah I'm not really sure. She said I could push my own zofran through the line...but I'm not fond of the idea of a PICC line whatsoever.
  • I don't blame you! I hate needles period but after the pics of the picc line and stories from my sil I'm really glad Zofran worked most of the time for me. I only landed in the hospital once with Damien for dehydration.
  • I see well I hope things get better naturelly between now and then so u don't. Have to deal with all that.
  • I can't remember which phenegran or zofran (because I took both during my pregnancy) but one of them makes a gel. I can't take the pills due to them making me puke as soon as I got them down.. So my doctor got me the gel version. As soon as you feel sick you put the gel on your wrists And rub it in. It really helped me feel better, but didn't take all of the sickness away. Maybe try that before you do any thing with needles