son burnt his face

Hello ladies, i usually dont post, just lurk but I have a question. My 18 month old burnt his cheek pretty bad last night. I was showing him a sparkler and he grabbed it and while I was trying to tell him no he jerked it right into his face during a fit of rage. I have been keeping it clean and applying vitamin e oil and keeping i t covered the best he will allow me. Any suggestions or tips to prevent scaring. Thanks in advance and please no negative comments as i already feel horrible and am just looking for tips ;) btw it doesnt seem to be bothering him.

Comments

• I think what ur using is fine I know thta the moment after it happens u can rub tomato but I think it only works then so a lotion is probably the best and good thing is not bothering him brave lil man
  • @waitingformybaby thank you! Yeah he cried for a second after and that was it. I was amazed cuz burns hurt lol especially for a while after. Just trying to avoid it getting infected and prevent as much scaring as its right on his cheek a little smaller than a quarter in size. :(
  • Is there a nurse hotline u can maybe call they can tell u what to use to prevent scaring specially on his face or ask a pharmacist at ur local store just to make sure ur using the right stuff
  • Yeah I think im gonna do that I tried calling earlier but got a msg line, so I figured I would ask here also since I know there are people who work in the medical field. My mom is also a nurse but she is at work till five. Figured I would try all options!!
  • That's cool I would love to have a family memeber in the medical field things would be so much easier lol
  • Depending on the burn u might actually not want to put anything on it my daughter burned the top of her hand in the button of the oven while helping grandpa with Christmas cookies we were told to not put anything on it that's what my hubby thought too being paramedic and it's all gone now. After it was better I used some scar cream
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks @jules, I bought and have been putting neosporin on it and covering it with a bandaid to prevent infection and ill try some cream once its all healed for any scaring. Oh and its first and second degree per my mom via picture. Wish she lived closer would make it a lot easier lol.
  • just b careful wat u put on it cause we found out the hard way with egg wights
  • Well with second I wouldn't put anything on it and keep it open it needs to dry.
  • Okay maybe ill try that he just keeps touching it and getting stuff in it when we are outside. So maybe ill leave it un covered and just watch ot. Thanks @jules and @roxy I will I heard about the egg white remedy before did it make it worse? I have personally never tried it.
  • Burns need air to heal right, if it blisters avoid letting the bubble(s) pop as they protect the area until the new skin grows. I highly recommend taking him in to his regular doctor if you can, they may prescribe burn cream (silver sulfide aka silvadine cream).

(I rarely post either :) )
  • Like I said I left it open my daughter didn't even know it was there cause I didn't put attention to it but it was only cause of my husband it's his job to know IM sure without him I would have put stuff on too. IM sure uncovered in few days it will start to look better!
  • edited April 2013
    its not that it made it worst it was more like didnt know my son was allergic to dairy so when he had burn he's hand we dip he's hand n egg white for the burning to stop well he touch he's face some how and OMG he broke out with a bad rash he's face got swollen we had to take him to the er and they gave him benadrill and a steroid shot it was scary seeing my son like that but because of this we end up taking him to a allergies Dr. which later found out he's allergic to many more things which we had no idea of
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks ladies, its starting to look better and im leaving it open to air out!
  • Be careful with the silver cream it darkens the skin which can lead to a scar, neosporin you can use to
  • @babyinblack682 yeah I have never used that. I was using fresh aloe vera from the plant the day after and have been just using neosporin now. Ill research and find something to use to prevent or fade scaring once it has healed more. It looks a lot better than it did yesterday!
  • @Jessibear How is he doing? How are you doing? I know it's not the same but I remember feeling so guilty when Elena had blisters on her little baby feet and I didn't notice anything because I thought I was helping her. Still feel so ashamed even though I know I shouldn't. I just hope you'll remember to not beat yourself up about, ok!!
  • @Alida he is doing good and it seems to be healing good. Im better about it and am trying not to beat myself up over it. Its hard though even though it was an accident, I just hate seeing him get hurt. Thanks for checking up on us. :)