Claritin for my 18mo old

So my LO had his 18mo check up yesterday and I expressed my concerns with him ALWAYS being congested, especially at night and his doctor said he first wants to rule out allergies so he prescribed Claritin. He wants him to try it out for a month and see if there's improvement. Has anyone given it to their kids?

Comments

• Lilium takes it, she started around 18 months. It helped, after a week I started to notice a difference. Claratin has to build up in your system a bit, it isn't within a day like zyrtec. My son was on it for a few years as well, not as a baby/toddler however.

I don't know if it is associative to her allergies or not but Lilium was having ear infections a lot but once she started the allergy meds she stopped having them. Like I said I don't know if it is related or not, but it is a possibility.
  • @mathair My son has had 2 ear infections already so it might have to do with it. Good thing you let me know it has to build up. What were your daughters symptoms before taking it? Any side effects you have noticed?
  • My son was on it at a year old an now he's 5 an on singulair they help pretty good
  • @mrz_jackson did u notice any side effects?
  • I use it for Xavier. It worked for a,little while then we had to switch to zyrtec.
  • My 2 year old took it for her eczema for the itching an it made her very drowsy the bottle sed give it before bed but one day I didn't an she was so cranky she slept for a few hours
  • She was stuffed up, sneezing a lot, and was rubbing her eyes a lot even when she wasn't sleepy so I'm assuming she also had icky eyes. Like I said before the ear infections could just be a coincidence but hopefully it helps you. For side affects she there really weren't any that I remember.

It was difficult to get her to take the meds at first. But after a month or so it became a familiar event so she accepted it. Now I just tell her it is med time and she takes them. So if your Lo fights it just stick with it.
  • Its very probable that the ear infections came from the allergies. When all that is going on, all that congestion and stuff gets stuck but never stops producing. And ear, nose, and throat is all one continuous system so when one part of it is full of junk, it has no other place to go. Eventually if left untreated, it gets incredibly backed up and ventures to the the lungs which is where a lot of upper respiratory infections come from. They can also swallow it and digest it which is when their bowels look mucousy and kinda sticky if that makes sense. Just remember that not all runny noses are terrible. The job of snot is to protect the inside of the body from outside crud. It creates a barrier so it can't get any further. Coughing is also a protection mechanism, trying to evacuate anything that did get in. When allergy medications are prescribed its cuz the body is working a whole lot trying to be productive and it needs a little assistance. All 4 of my children are on zyrtec. But I don't give it to them like a month or so. I five it to them on a weekly basis and that usually does the trick.
  • My son is on Zyrtec, since he's been a year old. He's now 17 months.