have you ever in your life..

Worked somewhere and had them tell you (and the rest of the staff) that up until now they've been calculating their books wrong and paying you too much? And now you have to take a 20% paycut? This just happened to me. I'm going to lose my mind.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Oh wow!
  • No way, that's their problem!
  • It has never happened to me. That would piss me off.
  • They can't just cut ur pay because they were stupid and failed math! Jackasses!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't think that is legal!
  • what does your contract state? If you have a contract that states your hourly rate then you can refuse. They can then ask that you sign a new contract, but it gives you some negotiating leeway, for example, you can choose to accept the 20% cut on the basis of them giving you extra annual leave, or a 4 day week, or other perks. Or you can refuse, as its a change to your defined working conditions, and file unemployment. The only other options are to accept, or, refuse and let them put you at risk of redundancy, which, if it happens, will at least give you some redundancy pay to see you through for a while.
  • That's wrong on so many levels!
  • Holy crap! That's really messed up. I'd look for a new company.
  • Omg that's really messed up I agree look at your contract when u were hired into the position they would have to have u sign something saying your ok with it. Really sounds like their problem for not doing their job right why should u be punished.
  • Wow ridiculous... where do u work?
  • edited April 2013
    I think all of the employees should just walk out at the same time one day...
  • I don't know if the can do that because of error but I know that employers have the right to give pay cuts.
  • @everyone I'm a hairstylist and I was hired by referral of a friend so basically they let me just walk in and start working without filling out much paperwork besides w2s. They are very unprofessional and unorganized. My bf said non union companies can pretty much do whatever they want. I'm definitely looking for a new job ASAP it's just hard in this industry to leave and start over. But I drive 30 mins to work so finding somewhere closer will be nice. I just can't wait to tell my boss to suck it when I quit hahaha. She's so greedy. She claims the salon is struggling yet she just put a $30,000 addition on her house... :/
  • Well hopefully ur clients will stay with you rather then salon itself ya know. I don't know what u do as far as promoting urself but I would start making name for yourself rather then salon u work for. I mean u might already do that. I hope u can find something u really like soon. Hair stuff has always looked like drama thing unless u get lucky with nice boss or can have money open ur own place.
  • That doesn't sound fair :O