Where should a 20months old verbal skills be at?

edited May 2013 in Talking
How much should they be talking? How many words? Etc. I'm getting somewhat concerned about my son's talking. He's smart and knows what things are, but no matter how many times I tell him what something is he always calls it 'that!' He's also saying less words than he used to and I can't figure out why. Nothing has changed in our communication.

Comments

• I just read something on baby center, cause I get emails weekly, my daughter will be 20mos on the 17th, and it said at this age their vocab is anywhere from 10-50 words. My daughter is somewhere in the middle. I think as long as he recognizing things and can point to things, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe see where he at 2yrs and then bring it up to your pedi.
  • My son is only 18 but only says 3 words. At his age, he should be saying at least 8. We had his checkup yesterday and his pedi said if he's not doing better by 2, they want to send him to speech therapy. He had several ear infections and she said that's what could be delaying him. I'd def bring it up at the 2 yr checkup if it's worrying you.
  • Madison is 19 months and has one word "juice" she's very smart and can point to many animals when asked. We have our first speech therapy this morning. She had an eval last week, the therapist wasn't going to take her on because she said one word was normal and was going to send me home for 3 months and then check on me. I told her that I work with Madison all day and she still isn't talking, she didn't really want to take her as a patient but I was pushy.
    Today I'll have to pay $150, and that's with our great insurance, if I would have known one word was "normal" I wouldn't have paid $170 for an eval. Sorry it's so long!
  • Lillian is 18 months old and says about 20 words and she can point to different animals and body parts that I ask her where they are and will go get things I ask to get. I think as long as he knows what things are that's good. I would definitely bring it up at his next doctors appointment though. My friends 2 year old doesn't say many words at all and her doctor Saidthat if by 2 and half if she wasn't talking more then they would send her to speech therapy. She has recently started speaking and communicating more so they chose not to do the therapy at this point.
  • My son is 2 years and says words here and there. They tried to get him to do speech therapy. We opted out and now he's saying more words. Slowly but surely. He's learning at his own pace.
  • My son is 20 months old and only says momma and dadda and bye
  • Jaksyn will be 20 months in a few days and only says maybe 5 words regularly. He will randomly suprise you and say something but then wont say it again. We try all day, he knows where body parts are and gets you things when you ask, he is very smart he just doesn't talk. Yet he is very loud and vocal and always just makes an "ehh" sound and points for what he wants. Doctors said we would worry about it at 2 years.
  • I've heard it's normal. My 20 month old talks like a 3 year old, but the dr said at 18 months 10 words was normal even tho he had will over 50. My friends with kids the same age say theirs are not speaking a whole lot..I would bring it up at 2 if nothing has improved. Just keep taking to him in regular voice and maybe he will just stay repeating! Good luck!
  • Our daughter is 23 months old, and up to a few weeks ago had about fifteen words she could say but would only say five to eight regularly.she even lost a few words somehow. But thenshe hit 23 months and iits been an explosion. New words, more words as well as putting them together in "sentences".
  • Well at my lo 18mo check up I was told if she wasn't starting to put two words together by 21mos that they would refer her for an evaluation.But my lo hhas low muscle tone which can delay speech also .