Once again, my kid won't eat

edited May 2013 in Ages & Stages
So my 19mo has decided to go on a hunger strike. He only wants to eat fruits, crackers and anything sweet. He no longer wants to eat veggies or meat. When I give him food he just plays with it and makes a mess. I'm getting really frustrated and I'm about to throw all the snacks out. I know he'll eat when he's hungry and I don't want to starve him but it will be over my dead body that I let him get away with this. Any suggestions because I could use ideas.

Comments

• I have always been told not to force. My son loves fruit n I think that is better than meat he gets as much as his lil body wants. He has stanges whenhe doesn't eat meat at all viggies we don't have any issues with but he won't eat them from a can. He doesn't really get sweats at all not much of a problem there.

Toss the sweats he doesn't need those.
    Try dry whole grain cereal
    Remember that a toddler can go days only picking
    It may drive u crazy but their is no need to get worked up about it.

My son has two eggs, toast, potato patty, sometimes a meat in the morning. It really ticks me off when I cook n he ends up eating a banana instead.lol. he is 18 months old
  • I agree I don't force and got great little eater. Trash the bad snacks no one needs those I never buy stuff like that for my daughter. This is what my dad told me that really changed the way I think about food and children. He said kids don't know what is really good and bad for their body and the effect it has. Therefore until they are old enough it's our job as parents to help them by making good choices that will benifit their life! Not saying at all that u don't do that for your lo just wanted toshare it really helps me to not be lazy like I wantto lol but rather take my time with her food and my own so I can be here for my kids as long as possible :)
  • My daughter won't eat either I get vaery fustrated she only weights q19 lbs and is 20 months dr bothers me about her weight now ahe say no or gets the food outta her mouth only wants juice
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree I hope my picky eater starts eating better
  • Thank you @HomeBirthAdvocate that's how tonight went. I made chicken, potatoes and green beans and he wouldn't eat anything so I sent him to bed hungry. I never once said anything about forcing my kid to eat so I don't know where those comments are coming from. All I'm concerned about is how long to let him go not eating before I should worry. And let me specify, because I didn't earlier, just because my kid wants sweet stuff like graham crackers or fruit does not mean I give my child a bunch of crap. We don't eat sugary snacks like cookies or candy so please don't assume I feed my child garbage. I'm a freaking dental hygienist for goodness sake so I am we'll aware of nutrition and what to feed my child. I don't even let him have gummie vitamins because they are full of sugar and cause cavities.
  • @2lilblessings I understand and I hope my son stops too because this picky eater shit is not working for me either.
  • Maybe cut down his options? Like for breakfast, allow him to have some fruit and then lunch and dinner only offer whatever you want to feed him and that's it. He'll come around eventually, especially if you don't give him options to what he can eat. Sometimes they get picky because they know there are snacks they like so they rather have that instead.
    Kids and their stages lol.
  • The problem with only offering what you make at that age is they can't say, u know I didn't wake up staving this morning so a huge breakfast will make me feel bad. Or man I didn't run three miles in between lunch and dinner so I am not hungry. There is an age for going to bed hungry. I believe that is when they can understand the words "if you don't eat dinner you will be hungry all night". The only thing you accomplish with a hungry baby is a baby that does not understand y you are not feeding him.

My 4 year old nephew understand to eat what is cooked and that was just started bc he can understand y he is not being fed.

Another reason is have you ever had to eat something you just didn't have a taste for? Its is not pleasant.

Tons of fruit may not be good but like was mentioned earlier they will not starve and fruit is not that sustaining so he would get hungry and start eating on his own. I just really see a hige problem sending a 19 month to bed without food, to me that is just cruel. All he knows is that his mom didn't feed him no matter the reasoning behind the action. It is your kid though so whatever works for you. Hope u were not up all night
  • ^^^ it is not like she made him go to bed hungry, she did offer and feed him dinner. He chose not to eat it.....
  • @candy101 YES!!! Thank you! You are exactly right!

@my2boys you completely missed the point of her response.
  • I understand the point of the response and I know the child doesn't understand it at that age. But there is no need to say she is being cruel and starving her child. Toddlers chose not to eat all the time, that does not mean it is the parents fault.
  • The child does not think the mom is not feeding them if she is still offering food. He will go to bed and should know that breakfast will be in the morning if he is hungry, children understand routine and learn meal times at a young age.
  • She did not say the OP was cruel or starving her child. So don't add words. She simply pointed out a different way of thinking about the situation.
  • In my opinion she did say it. I'm not adding any words.
  • If my daughter won't eat a good meal or just picks at her food I will supplement it with either a sippy cup of milk or a sippy of low sodium V8 juice. This way I know she's at least full and getting some vitamins. She goes back and forth all the time with what she will and won't eat. I don't stress over it, because I know she'll come around eventually.
  • My son is 18 months and has gotten a bit picky. I offer him food, if he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat. I won't let him starve and I know he will eat when he gets hungry. He's plenty healthy and sleeps good. Keep doing what your doing. It's probably just a phase. And yes, she did basically call the OP cruel
  • I don't understand why this got turned into negative no I've ever said u force your child I like others were agreeing with your first post saying no need to force your doing the right thing by letting him come around when his hungry. I also made myself extra clear by saying "not saying at all u do or don't do that" I was just wanting to share what my parents shared with me which helped me not to feel bad if a kid is being picky cause like u it's not gonna happen that all come around when hungry. No one ever said anything negative but rather restating pretty much what u already are doing. It was compliment in a way. Maybe we can all read things more carefully.
  • @jules I'm not saying anything you said was wrong, it is a different commentor that I feel said something that was out of line.
  • Well just to clarify, when i said cut down his options i didn't mean to only offer what she made and that's it. By cutting down his options i meant that if he doesn't want to eat what she made, maybe a drink like @starrxoxo9 said will do the trick. I guess i should've said, cut out the option of a snack so that he can see that he will have to eat some food before he's allowed to snack.

Honestly, she's a mom like everyone else on here and im sure she's not feeding him junk and im also sure she's putting an effort into getting him to eat healthy meals. Kids eat when they want too.
  • All I said was a toddler does not understand if I don't eat now I will not get to eat again until tomorrow. Yes I think that is wrong and cruel if u are the baby that is going 8-10 hours without foid maybe longer.

@starrxoxo9 I never thought about v8 yhat is a great ideal. We use almond milk or whole milk with fruit. It works everytime!!

I feel that it is expecting to much especially when they just may not feel great that day. I don't eat full meals if I feel a off that day. There are also times when I force one bite into his mouth after that he will eat or not. If not we get something to supplement with.
  • I don't let Madison go to bed hungry, bit that's just the way a parent. now when she reaches 3 ish i'll start implementing eating what we eat. if she doesn't eat lunch then she gets one snack and has to wait until dinner, if she doesn't eat dinner she plays for a bit then I give her something else. She sleeps 14 hours a night, I don't think she would sleep for as long (not that I'm saying your kid doesn't)
    And she doesn't get healthy foods all the time, she gets a good breakfast, lunch and dinner with unhealthy ish snacks and she eats just fine. I grew up on complete junk food and turned out ok.
    @frantastic you know your son better than anyone :X some days Madison only eats those toddler pasta meals, as long as they're growing they're good
  • @my2boys I know you didn't :) don't worry I was addressing @frantastic and I am not trying be rude or disrespectful just making point that if we read carefully we are all trying make same point and were mainly repeating what was originally stated and I like others are trying our best to explain what we are trying to communicate but it's very hard sometimes without talking in person. I was trying make her feel better I think she thought people were attacking or something when in reality we are agreeing that she doesn't need to force therefore I think she's doing great job and I would do the same. And her lo will come around! :)
  • My 17 month old is doing the same, the doctor told us to give her pediasure once a day to be sure she's getting her nutrients and just let her eat what she will, just before two they go through a picky eaters stage and as long as you try and they're at least they're getting the needed nutrients for the day they're fine and will eventually come out of it.