Pregnant with copper iud SAD UPDATE :(

edited May 2013 in Pregnant
My daughter just found out she's pregnant with an iud. (the copper one) She doesn't have insurance & is freaking out. What should she do & where should she go? Is it something she should be seen for right away?
I posted this on Peacocks too.

Comments

• She needs to be seen asap sometimes they risk to take it out and ends on miscarriage sometimes they just let it run its curse and see what happens but definitely get checked its very important a professional opinion
  • @captivated can probably give you some useful info.
  • Does she have any idea how far along???
  • I ask because I got pregnant with one 3 times, the first time I was 5-6 weeks, the Iud fell out but I had a miscarriage a day or so later. The second miscarriage I was in my 6th week the Iud did not fall out. The third it feel out at approximately 9 weeks and my daughter just turned a year in April. There is risk with removing it. There is risk with it staying in.
  • Being seen this early will not help much. The risk is miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy. As for the miscarriage risk, nothing can be done. Ectopic is another worry, but if she is very early, they cannot detect it until at least 6 weeks or so. the risk for tubal rupture is very low under 8 weeks. She should get an appointment scheduled as soon as possible with an OB though. As you know , i got pregnant on the IUD, but lost it at 15 weeks. My loss didn't have anything to do with the iud though. Many women have perfectly healthy babies when conceiving on one :)
  • She's freaking out because she was googling about all the risks. I hope it turns out ok. :/
  • Hope its okay!
  • Have you heard anything since her appointment?
  • They couldn't get it out, there was no string seen. I found out she's having sharp pain on her left side during intercourse which would indicate it's displaced. She's getting an ultrasound appointment tomorrow. I'm really worried for her because there's so many complications possible including birth defects, late term miscarriage, still birth & preterm labor. We'll find out more after the ultrasound. Her dr. said it's only the 3rd iud pregnancy she's ever seen in her career.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate Have you ever had any experience with a pregnancy with iud?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2013
    Oh wow, prayers sent your way. Hopefully all goes well at the ultrasound and it will provide aome positive information. I can only imagine how worried you are, that's scary stuff. Wishing for the best.
  • Well they couldn't find the iud on the ultrasound, but said that doesn't mean 100% it's not there. She has a tilted uterus & also a bilateral uterus, which she knew from before. The baby dates 5w6d & the tech said the heartbeat was kind of fluttering which could indicate a possible miscarriage. I've never heard of that. The tech also said the bilateral uterus could be why her last baby was transverse which we didn't know before. So, not any great news today. :(
  • Oh my goodness! My sister had an iud that got lost and had to be surgically removed. Prayers!
  • Keeping talk in my prayers
  • Oh no can't believe they couldn't find it. That's one reason why I would never get one. I hope everything turns out well for her and she can havehealthy baby. Lots prayers for her!
  • Thanks for the thoughts & prayers! I would never get one either. I explained the risks to her, but she's a big girl lol
  • Geez, only the third?? While going through my OB rotation in the hospital and doctors office, there were lots! I was lucky that mine fell out, I suppose. It would have been terrible if it had displaced. I hope to god they find it!
  • What did her doc say after they couldn't find it are they just waiting hoping for the best? I'm sure she's never going want so that again for birth control. I hear things like this makes me so thankful I have never taken any birth control and just either didn't have sex and or was very smart about it when I was little older and when I got married didn't have to worry about it since we both wanted kids together. But im so worried about her I'm sure she's very stressed too.
  • @jules They're gonna do another ultrasound next week to check again since her uterus will be bigger & to recheck the baby's heartbeat. She's very nervous, she keeps worrying about every little twinge & cramp. :(
  • Ya I don't blame her I would be too. I'm not very educated on how the iud works exactly but how far in do they insert it? I guess I'm asking that it would be all the way in the uterus therefore has chance of being in the sac with the baby if never taken out? It's all just sounds so scary and dangerous I don't know why someone would want anything like that in their body. I am praying for her.
  • @jules Thank you. I know it does go in the uterus, but I'm not sure how far. I know the copper slowly leaks so it can cause deformities & stuff. I'm just praying it fell out. They said the sac from the baby growing usually pushes it out. She never saw it though. I don't know exactly how the copper iud works, but I know I would never use one.
  • I see. Well I hope it just feel out awhile ago and she had no idea that's how she got pregnant. I don't even know why they would create something that if ever was lost or stuck and someone got pregnant has chances of deformities. How would a product like that even pass health issues.
  • @jules I know really!
  • I'm really hoping it fell out! :-( How scarey! I'm praying for her hun *hugs*
  • UPDATE:
    There was no heartbeat at the ultrasound today. :'(
  • Oh no, I'm so sorry. Prayers and thoughts sent to your you and your daughter during this rough time :(
  • Oh no I'm so sorry for her good thing she has you!I'll be praying for her can't imaging how she must feel right now :(
  • Im so sorry for you both. I know it must be hard for you to know your daughter is experiencing the horrible pain you've experienced as well. I'll keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.