my employer?

My doctor wrote me out last Friday for maternity leave. I took the note to my employer. She has yet to get back to me on the paper work that's needsto be filled out. I've called several times. First time she. Wasn't in which was a lie. I was told to call back at 2 the next day. I called she got a attitude telling me she would call me. Before I ever got pregnant she had several ladies before that go on leave shouldn't she know how to do this? They can't fire me can they?

Comments

• Usually employees have you fill out a request for anticipated maternity leave ahead of time and then they review and approve it or not, have you been with this employer for a previous pregnancy?
  • Write her an email. Make sure to say the number of times you've attempted to call her. It's good to have everything in writing so she doesn't get any ideas.

What state are you in? In CA doctors office takes care of paperwork.
  • No the doctors fills out the paper work here. She has to print it off. She said she wasn't sure if she had to fire me then rehire me or what. I don't like that she is taking her sweet time. I live in NC.
  • edited May 2013
    I don't have her email. She told me toget her a doctors note. @excitedforoctober @monkey_girl
  • At this point I think you need to go in and personally hand it to her and make sure everything is done. It's illegal to fire a pregnant woman.
  • Well she can't fire you for this reason. She can always come up with another reason if that's what she wants though. I would come in personally make sure it's all taken care of. But usually all this is done ahead of time that way everyone knows exactly when your last day is. Unless there's an emergency of course.
  • I know with my old job I had to do it before I went put about 30 days before I was due. I also know that any company under 50 employees don't have to follow the FMLA act. But FMLA should cover you so you go back at your current position. See we had an HR number to call and they knew everything about leave of absence so we didn't deal directly with our boss. Its so confusing. I'd go in personally and talk to her and stress the fact you don't want to lose your job so you'd like to get all the paperwork correct.