21 month old flips out of her crib

edited June 2013 in Sleep
My 21 month old daughter flipped put of her crib last Thursday afternoon. (Yes, the mattress was on the lowest setting) We went out and bought a universal toddler rail and converted her crib into a toddler bed that night. She refuses to stay in her bed at night now, she literally wanders through my house all night long and no matter what I do, (sleeping in her room with her, letting het watch tv etc) she still gets up. I'm so exhausted from not sleeping it unreal! The odd part is that she will nap in there no problem. Any ideas ladies?!?! The hubs and I are running on E, we are EXHAUSTED! Thank goodness that my 4 month old is a heavy sleeper!!

Comments

• I'd do what super nanny does, do your usual bedtime routine, put her in and the first time she comes out say, "it's time for bed" and place her back, next time she come out don't say anything and keep placing her back in the bed, the first night may take an hour or two, but she will eventually get it. It's worked every time I've seen it. Don't make eye contact and don't say anything after the first time.
    We're getting ready to transition Madison to a toddler bed and I am not excited!
  • @Kimberly4411 that was our exact plan and saw it on super nanny also. Unfortunately, it isn't working for us at all. How old is Madison?
  • Giana seriously stays awake ALL night going back and forth, its unreal. She comes in, I put her back, repeat over and over for 8 hours :-(
  • I would do what @Kimberly4411 said, but I'd personally add a little swat to the diapered bottom. Just enough to let her know you're serious. I'd also peek in through the doorway rather than staying in the room that way she doesn't think it's play time or something. I hope something helps, that sounds exhausting! :(
  • Madison is 20 months, we need the crib for her sibling, and I'd rather her be super used to a big bed before baby gets here.
    I'm sure you know, but super nanny sometime has the moms stay in the bedroom, put your back to the bed, every time she gets out lay her back down, then go back to sitting. if you see she's staying in her bed slowly scootch towards the door, I've never seen it be easy for parents =((
  • @wilsomom agreed bc this is getting out of control. Ive read a lot of article that say if they refuse to stay in bed then they aren't ready but in my opinion its now a matter of safety, not what shes ready for. @kimberely4411 when is the baby due? Im going to try the scooting thing bc me staying in there simply leads to me falling asleep and her climbing over me to go wander!! Im more the type that will nicely ask her to do something two times and on the third there are consequences but with this its hard to do time out or take toys away etc.
  • Sorry don't have advice just wants to say I hope you find something that works and can get some rest. We are going to be going through same thing soon my daughter's crib does convert but we're just getting get big girl bed bc we need the crib for our next baby girl. I've been worried about especially since my daughter loves her crib and such good sleeper. Oh maybe I don't know ur lo nap routine but my daughter has one in late afternoon maybe skip it that way she's super tired. ill try to Google it for you and ask friend what she did.
  • I put a babygate in my sons doorway at nighttime so hes not wandering all night. when he gets up he usually just see's if the gate is up and he gets back in his bed. if he cries at the gate I just let him know its bedtime and to go to sleep. only one time I had to let him cry it out at the gate and he eventually tired out and went back to his bed.
  • I turn off all lights after I do our bed time ritual of story time and kisses night I turn on his little scout dog (its a stuffed dog that plays music ) and I leave his room and sit in front of the door with it cracked just enough for me to see and every time he tries to get up I tell him its night night and lay down if he doesn't lay back down before he had a chance to get off the bed I lay him back down and I leave again we repeat the process about 10-20 minutes before he falls asleep. If he gets super upset and starts crying I go in his room rub his head and quietly tell him I am there and it is night night time and mamma and dadda are going to bed too. Once he is calmed a bit I leave again and repeat the process. It seems to be working we just started last weekend. He is 19 months old. Been in his toddlwe bed since 12 months but I just let him always get up and come sleep with us but now I'm trying to train him to sleep in his own bed now.
  • @Jules haha you read my mind! She is skipping her afternoon nap until she learns to sleep at night again. She was the best sleeper until now :-( when are you guys starting to make the transition? @kitshay that seems to work for so many people but she climbs over it so I quit. Maybe I should raise it. @brodysmamma I am going to try that bc it still gives them comfort and reassurance while being consistent!! Its kind of like me going in there but this way she won't think its play time.
  • Can you just shut her door? At least if she gets up she's not rummaging through the house getting in trouble lol.
  • Hopefully that works somewhat ! Well my daughter just turned 18 months our second baby girl is due December 5th so I'm thinking end of august so she will be 20 months and gives her 3 months hopefully to transition and have her get used to it! I'll start praying now. My daughter always has her door closed she hates any lights so hopefully that helps little :)
  • Ya it seems to be working for me. I forgot to tell you that when he gets up after I leave the room I open the door and tell him to lay down that way he sees me and knows I am there. Some days are harder then others like if he is fighting his sleep he cries more but I try to put him to bed in a good mood that way there is less fighting and resisting sleep. And I just continually let him know I am there. Sometimes when he is laying there he will play peek a boy with himself until he falls asleep. He will pull his blankets over his head and pull them off real quick and laugh after he is asleep o go in and make sure the blankets aren't over his face Lol.
  • How's it going?
  • We started our kids at 18 months... Soon my 16 month old will be moved to a big boy bed. Have you tried just reminding her? What I mean is about an hour before bed tell her an hour til bed...half hour before bed etc. I know they don't know time concept but it seems to help. I remind my son the whole hour before bed. Or if you say after this show is over its bedtime. And stick to a routine. Good luck:)