Child Support....

edited July 2013 in Pregnant
S/O asked me "IF we were to ever break up would you sue for child support?"

At first I was kinda upset as to why he would ask such a question. Then I brushed it off and answered.

"IF we broke up and you were still taking care of our son. Not only providing money, but giving the love and attention he needs from you. Then no I wouldn't 'sue' for child support. BUT if you up and sudden chuck us the deuces I'm 'suing' you for child support. Why'd you ask?"

He said his friend and his ex-wife have two kids and the kids stays with him, yet his ex-wife wants to take the kids back and sue for child support because her new boyfriend says the kids should be with their mother and this way her new BF won't have to get a job because the child support money will take care of all of them. S/O friend does has a very nice paying job.

I would never 'sue' for child support if he is doing his job as a father just to get more money. His friends ex-wife is selfish and delusional if she thinks she's getting the kids back. Obviously the courts deemed her unfit if the kids are with the father.

Comments

• Yup! Same thing here. If hubby and i were to leave each other i would only sue for child support AND a visitation agreement if he fails to be a father to our son.
    Both of our parents are divorced and he had an extremely hard childhood, so i know that would never be my case because he doesn't want his baby to go through what he went through.

I seriously hate women that make decisions based on what works better for them than what is best for the child.
  • When we get into a heated argument and we throw out divorce or leaving each other I throw out "I'm going to get child support and alimony!" To piss him off. Lol! But if he was helping me (doing his job) I don't think I would. It all depends on your situation.
  • edited July 2013
    @perly My parents are divorced and my father completely ditched us. I don't think she sued for CS. If she did, we never got any money from him. S/O said he would never do that to his child even if we didn't work out.

Yes women like her piss me the hell off.

@monkey_girl I have been know to throw that around too minus the alimony, but only in really extremely heated arguments.

If he is doing his job why sue just for extra money in your pocket that you know you're not going to spend on the child/kids.
  • Well sounds like be was just having regular conversation bc his probably been thinking about his friend and feels bad for him and the situation in general. My hubby and I talked about that bc hehas child with his ex and his always there for her and very involved in general let her keep everything bc he wanted to make sure his daughter had home and was driven in safe car.. His ex wouldn't be able to do all that I he own. Anyway she still tried getting money from him plus we are paying her mortgage for awhile to make sure they wouldn't get kicked out or anything. Anyways I told my hubby that I would never sue out of anger if he didn't wanna be in the picture that's his loss. And if I actually needed money then I would except the money amount thecourt orders and once I didn't need it I wouldn't take it and if I did it would go into savings account for the girls for school. But I hope we never have to worry about that and neither do any of you on here family is important to marriage has it moments but soo with it to me :)... My hubby got is into house I love in March and bought me new car today so I'm blessed to be able to be home with my daughter and our second on the way and have good things in life which sadly with our economy so many are having hard time I know we were last year but we know God always provides!
  • careful. if you guys ever split and you get state assistance, they might make you pursue child support. they did with me. it's the only reason I did, because I was getting daycare assistance. otherwise, I would have been happy with him not having any legal claim to my daughter. I didn't let him sign the birth certificate or anything... they made me do a paternity test and file for child support or else they wouldn't help me.
  • edited June 2013
    Here in ohio you don't get the choice, it's mandatory that the absent parent pay child support whether you sue for it or not. They also have to provide medical insurance.
  • ^^^^ aren't most states doing that now?
  • I told my hubby straight up I control his payroll therefore he wouldn't be able to get out of giving me what I want. Of course our split would have him moving into the one of the kids rooms and us living like roommates. We have been together our whole adult life (b4) then for me 17 years in october. I don't realky know if either of us could function wo the other.
  • I put my exhb on child support because In the 2years and a half that I moved out of his house he
    Did nothing to see my daughters or even call them or helping in any aspects I called him once because I needed money for my daughter back to school stuff and he had the balls to tell me no! WTFFFFFFFFFFFF after 2 years I never ask him for anything and he could not buy some stuff for my daughters .... needless to say the next day I went to the child support office!

Im happy I did I also went to get full sole custody !
  • Yes. If we were to get a divorce, when custody was decided, there is no option of not receiving child support. If we were no longer living together,i would need the support for my son. Nothing personal against him. I'm a firm believer in having everything set in a court ordered document. I did not do so before because i assumed we were amicable. That amicability you have in the beginning can go south very quickly.
  • edited July 2013
    @jules: I know it was a regular conversation after he told me why he asked that question, but at first I was like "What you trying to say?" Lol.

@Mythica, @Wilsomom, @candy101, @2girls_2boys, @capivated: S/O and I aren't married so if he leaves there is nothing the courts can do about it unless I go and file for it. I don't really get much government assistance just Medicaid. The courts don't care much about that.

I do know if I filed for LINK the courts would get involved and S/O already said if I have to sue for child support (because of LINK and etc) to help put food in our child's mouth he had no problem with that, if we broke up.

Yes I know things are different once the situation actually approaches, but it is nice knowing that if we didn't make it he would still be there for the child. He agreed that if child support is needed he would pay up. But like I said it still different once the situation approaches.

Trust me though if he is not doing his job as a father, if we break up, I am filing for child support. I promised him that.
  • In ohio in order to keep medical you would have to take a dna test and they would tap his wages married or not. My sister lost hers medical bc she refused dna testing.
  • edited July 2013
    @candy101: It's not like that in Illinois. The father has nothing to do with Medicaid. Now if it was LINK/SNAP, Cash or Government Assistance Housing (Section 8, Low-Income, Public Housing, etc) then I would need to file for child support and take a paternity test to keep it and get it.
  • Ohio is pretty strict on that stuff. My sister had the ideal that he could take her son if they knew he was the father. Stuff other people put in her head not that it mattered she ended up giving the baby to my mom n visiting when she feels like a bad enough mother. The boy us going to have major issues over my crazy sister.

I have told my husband I wanted two kids I put all these years of my life into him, he was giving my babies and doing his job. He wanted kids way before though. If I would have started sooner I might have had 4-5 and that's a dcary thought. As it is we will have two in college for two years at the same time.

As long as he understands he is their daddy then that's all that matters. It doesn't sound like he is the man that walks away n never looks back(not that u would let him).
  • @candy101 Wow at your sister. Yeah he sounds like a keeper, lol.