birth control shot

Im being discharged today and hadn't really thought about what birth control id be doing but im getting the essure permanent birth control in 6 weeks and it takes 3 monthes after that procedure to be done and Ill need bc during that whole time as well. The dr just came in and offered to give me the shot and it will last for 3 months starting today so I agreed. Im wondering what it will do to me like side effects, has anybody gotten pregnant on it?, I figured id get a prescription for the pills at my 6 week pp appointment but sounds like this is more safe because I wont be responsible for remembering every day. What do you guys think? Does it really affect weight like people say?

Comments

• Aren't you breastfeeding? I was always told that high dose hormonal birth control wasn't recommended while breastfeeding. I was only offered the mini pill (progesterone only) at my 6wk appt.
  • @homebirthadvocate can probably elaborate on the specifics.
  • @starrxoxo9 yes I am breastfeeding. I had no idea about that thank u ill be asking the dr when she comes back. I haven't gotten the shot yet and I've been reading other posts in the contraceptives category I dont like what I see about this shot. Maybe I will be committing to the pill!
  • I think the Depo is ok when breast feeding. I hated the Depo. I felt horrible. It made my periods a lot heavier, and i mean A LOT. I also gained a lot of weight too... It was just horrible. I wouldn't recommend the Depo to anyone.
  • HATED the depo. I bled for two months straight, one week of no bleeding then over another straight month. I also lost a noticable amount of hair. I had horrible mood swings. It didn't affect my weight nor did I didn't get pregnant but after 6 months I'm just finally starting to get regular again, I will never ever again take the depo shop.
  • I bled the whole 6 months I was on it. I couldn't imagine being on it and maybe dealing with ppd, the shot made me crazy bitchy lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm really surprised your physician wants to put you on a BC so early. The first six weeks are extremely critical to establish supply.
  • Ok. No Depo while breastfeeding! Lol. Sorry, i don't know why i thought depo was ok... Sorry.
  • So then I should not be on anything right now if I want a good breastfeeding outcome? What about after the 6 weeks? I have to be on some kind of birth control for the 3 months while im waiting for my tubes to scar over the essure coils. I wish my regular dr was here to ask her instead of this other lady. I heard the first day I was here that she's a new resident here and didn't know much about the procedure or whatever cuz she was willing to admit me when I was only 2-3 centimeters but then someone came in and told me no I had to be 4 and go walking. Yesterday when I was supposed to go home nobody offered me any birth control but today she did. Idk what to do :(
  • If i were you i'd do condoms or the progesterone only pill. There's really not a lot you can do without jeopardizing your supply. Only other choice is to wait it out. But i don't know if that's an option for you.
  • I would focus on condoms fir the first couple months to help establish your supply. Many if not most would caution you on starting BC and its effects on lactation. Plus, although not 100% effective, if you are EBF then it serves as a good source of BC for the first couple months. Is there an in-house LC?
  • The depo shot is progesterone only. It is horrible! Not only did i have a non stop period for 9 months i got chunky as hell! I do not recommend it. The same thing happened with the progesterone only pill. I can't take estrogen cause of my heart so we did withdraw method & it worked for years though its not recommended usually to prevent pregnancy.