can i have a drink?

edited July 2013 in Breastfeeding
I got a hand-pump from WIC last week I haven't tried it out yet. If I wanted to have a drink or two at my dads bar how long do I have to pump and toss before putting her back on my breast? Ill need to pump enough supply before hand to give her I just need to know how long it will take to get it out of my system..?

Comments

• I was told one beer=one hour a and you do not have to pump and dump bc it filters out
  • So do I continue to breastfeed even if I just had a cocktail? @firstTimeMommy0928
  • If its not crazy strong then I would think if you wait an hour then you should be fine
  • The rule of thumb is one drink= one hour...but if that 1 drink makes you feel like you have been drinking then you should wait until that wears off..
  • They have over the counter Milkscreen at-home test to detect alcohol in breast milk.
  • My birthday was while I was still breastfeeding my daughter and I waited until it wore off pumped and dumped after I felt normal I put her back on. Its better to be safe then sorry.
  • I was told if you can drive you can breastfeed. Only pump & dump if you are due to nurse/pump. Just like the beer filters through your system, it does the same with your milk. You shouldnt go past the time you would normally nurse because it could significantly decrease your supply and its very hard to build it back up.