Moms who don't do shots.

edited July 2013 in Pregnant
I have a friend who doesn't want to vaccinate her children. Her kids, not mine, so whatever she wants to do is fine. Anyways, she doesn't know how to get around having to have shots for school. Can some of you not vaccinating moms please tell me how to go about this so I can pass the info on please.
Thanks!

Comments

• My son is going to be two in September, so he is only in daycare. They required a notarized letter stating that the daycare was not responsible if he were to get any of the diseases that he would have gotten vaccines for. My mom typed it then my husband and I signed it and had it notarized.
  • You can google vaccination exemption for your state & should be able to get a form to fill out based on your states laws.
  • My cousins wife Doesn't vaccinate either. Their son is 4, obviously needs to be in school, but no school will take him unvaccinated. This is in CA
  • I think this is great question I mean I vaccinate I'm sure curious how do people get around it like @monkey_girl we are in Ca that are picky with everything around here.
  • I got my second daughter shots late because of insurance reason she was 3 almost 4yo and I almost got eaten alive by the doctors! I don't care its my choice I did it late so what?

Anywho im in ny and the school my daughters are in says vaccines required!
  • I'm in CA and no day cares would take my son with our shots. I got a little behind because he was sick and we waited for him to get better and then get caught up. Then I had to scramble to get him up to date or the day care would NOT take him. No exceptions.
  • @wilsomom is correct. It is your right as a parent to decline vaccines. That's what these exemption forms are for. If you have an exemption form, schools and day cares CANNOT refuse to take your kids. The only way they can do that is if you do not have the exemption form. All states have one, you just need to look them up and follow the rules to obtain one.

Btw, i just looked up vaccine exemption laws in CA and there is an exemption form that can be requested.
  • Yes, like @perly said, they want you believe you have to have them, but it's your right as a parent to say no. They won't let you know about the exemptions.
  • No matter what your school says YOUR STATE HAS VACCINE EXEMPTIONS! You do Not need them to go to school. Ugh I hate public schools....
  • edited July 2013
    Exactly what @ashley_smashley @perly
    @wilsomom mom said. You don't need them for school.
  • In CA there is only a medical exemption and religious belief exemption. And you have to file and show proof for both.
  • They can't contradict you, or even make you show proof for religious. It's against the law @monkey_girl
  • Monkey_girl in CA they have what is called a PBE (personal belief exemption) and religious reasons fall under the same thing. You can get that. They cannot ask you to show proof of your personal belief.

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/california.aspx
  • @perly interesting. I'll let my cousin know. But I think it says that all schools have their own guidelines regarding exemptions. Oh well, they'll need to find out on their own.
  • Nope trust me. All schools have the same rules...they may tell you they don't, but they do!
  • @monkey_girl anyone that has an exemption and is still denied can report, maybe even file a lawsuit because like i said before that is a right that we have.
  • edited July 2013
    @Ashley_smashley do you live in CA?

@perly My cousin doesn't have one and probably won't get one. Honestly, I think the only reason their kid isn't vaccinated is because they're really young, lazy, and irresponsible. All schools have denied him, so I'm thinking home schooling is probably his best option.
  • Wow so people who don't vaccinate are irresponsible? Hmm good to know @monkey_girl no I don't live in California. But my aunt (who doesn't vaccinate ) does. Also when I chose to not vaccinate I did EXTENSIVE research. Probably more than most who did decide to vaccinate. So I know what I am talking about.
  • edited July 2013
    Woah woah @Ashley_smashley I'm only talking about my cousin. Not that I oh you an explanation but he doesn't take his son to the doctor, period. So, yeah irresponsible.

I'm pro vaccinations but I do believe everyone is in there own right to do what they choose.

Sounds like your in desperate need to pick a fight. I'm not even going to entertain that.
  • No need to pick a fight. Going by what YOU posted. And what YOU posted was inflammatory. LoL but whatevs. You have a great day :) @monkey_girl
  • @monkey_girl oh lol, i see. So it wasn't much of a choice, it was more of "shots=doctor's office...eehhh, maybe tomorrow" lol. That's crazy.

Whether a parent decides to vaccinate or not, it needs to be an educated decision. Its sad that there are parents that procastinate about their child's health.
    I chose to vaccinate but i made my research before i decided that (that's how i know about the exemption).

And believe me, all schools will keep denying him until they get that exemption form.
  • @perly lol... yeah, poor kid. They haven't even picked up a birth certificate and he's 4. Oh well!
  • I used to vaccinate our kids but my son got shingles from the chickenpox vaccination and now that's something that he has to deal with for the rest of his life. That and the way the govt and FDA keeps screwing stuff up I just don't trust them injecting anything into my children. As far as taking them to the dr I only do that when its something they HAVE to go for. I think America as a whole has gotten used to "oh there's a pill for that" so we chose to let our kids develop immunities on their own. I know that my children are healthy and up to par with their age groups. My son is 7 an going into gifted this year in the second grade.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think a persons choices are just that......their choices.....My daughter has not had shots since her 12 month well visit because I am attempting to research.....@ashley_smashley can you email me some of your findings or good reliable information sweets?
  • Again, nothing to do with any of you. (Just my cousins situation) And doctors visits are not just for vaccinations. They are to make sure your child is healthy and developing as they should. I would have never known my daughter had "plagiocephaly" if I would have thought like that.

@homebirthadvocate
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Im sure @monkey_girl knows her cousin way better than we do, so if she's calling him irresponsible its for a good reason.

In my opinion, it is irresponsible to walk up to a public school and expect them to take your child without having any kind of information like a birth certificate and vaccine exemption if your choice was to not vaccinate (which like i said, its totally fine if that's your decision)
  • edited August 2013
    There are different types of plagiocephaly. Not just a noticeable flat spot. Sooo many benefits on taking your child on routine doctors visit. I think a lot of mom's on here would agree. I'm more of catch it early and nip it in the butt type of mom. Not a wait till I notice it and it's too late.

Didn't mean to offend anyone on here. My cousin is a teenage pot smoking lazy kid. Who is just plain irresponsible with his kid. Didn't want to get into details because it's not my thread.

But if you want to keep talking about this inbox me. @homebirthadvocate