My baby HELP

edited August 2013 in Pregnant
My 4month old sleeps in his crib in my room but he's starting to worry me cuz he rolls to his tummy and likes sleeping butt up but he worries me any tips should I be too concern about SIDS please help I can't sleep

Comments

• My son started doing that and i talked to his pedi about it. She said there was nothing i could do to stop him. She also said by 6 months his chance of dying in his sleep is no greater a chance than me dying in my sleep. Just make sure the crib is clearof any soft things that he could smother himself in. I know it is scary!
  • He's only 4 months he sometimes sleeps face down there is no bumper on his crib it's just the fitted sheet
  • Omg i have the same fear. I started letting him sleep in his pack n play during naps and stuff so he could get used to it cause i was thinking of letting him sleep in there at night.
    Last night was his first night and i honestly only slept 3 hours and they weren't back to back. I had to constantly get up and fix him because he rolls to his tummy too but he digs his nose is the mattress. He's gonna be 3 months tomorrow. Im scared to death, but i want him to sleep on his own now. I just don't know what to do :(
  • I let my son sleep on his tummy when he started rolling over. Honestly, IMO it's not that big of a deal and people worry about it way too much. If your kid is rolling over any way it's absurd to constantly get up and roll them back.
  • @frantastic i respect your opinion. But IMO, when it actually happens to you or someone close to you (you in general) is when it becomes a big deal and you pay attention to those little things.
    Having already lost a daughter (not to SIDS), i know too well how much that hurts and i refuse to go through it again. My son is 3 months old. He just started rolling to his tummy, so he doesn't know how to roll to his back. When he turns to his tummy, he literally digs his nose into his mattress. So if staying up all night, making sure my son is ok and breathing is absurd to you, that's ok, i respect that opinion... But to me, its just being extra cautious.
  • I definitely understand how you're feeling. My hubby had a brother pass with sids so we were super freaked. But we had an Angel Care monitor with the sensor pad under our LOs crib mattress and that helped me not worry so much!
  • Well its scary but try not to let it get to you too much I went through that for little with Scarlett but just kept telling myself it would be ok and praying a lot. She would only do it every once blue moon though and she always had her head to the side never face in the mattress which helped me feel better. But they do have special almost body pillow thing that is on each side of the baby to prevent them from being able to flip over at all. U can look into that.
  • Both of mine have been put down on there tummies since day one. When my mom was having kids you didn't lay them on their backs. They sleep better on their bellies and no chance of choking on their own spit-up.
    If he is digging his head in just adjust it. Sorry for you lose I thought this was your first. No family should ever have to lose a child. My kids sleep in my bed (its soft) on there tummies the first got a pillow at 10 months. These campaigns scare a lot of people for no real reason. It is natural to sleep with your child but look at what the doctors and crib manufacturing companies say.
  • When they started the Safe to Sleep Campaign, the incidence of SIDS dramatically decreased. There are many variables that they believe contribute to the incidence of SIDS but no known cause. The research is very interesting and something as simple as keeping a fan in a room decreases the risk. It is thought that perhaps it helps with temperature regulation. You have a right to be concerned and I recommend you do your research.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/SIDS/Pages/sids.aspx
  • @perly you are not crazy or absurd for not being able to sleep worrying about him going on his tummy, I am the same way. Even if on his tummy he will sleep 10hr straight instead of 4 (hypothetically speaking) I would NEVER let any of my infants sleep on their tummys.
  • @excitedforoctober thanks. I don't feel like my worrying is crazy or absurd because i do what i feel i need to do to keep my baby safe and to get peace of mind.
    However, kids are different so i do see why my way would be absurd to someone else. What works for you, might not work for me.
    IMO i think there's nothing wrong with letting a baby sleep on his tummy when he/she has more control of his/her body and can move if it feels like he/she can't breathe or something like that. The thing is my son doesn't have that control yet, so i can't just leave him in there like that. Once he's more mobile, i will.
  • @candy101 my mom said the same thing about my sister and I when we were born. She was told to put us on our bellies. Every other day it's like they're coming up with stuff that's not good when you're pregnant and not good for babies. I just take it with a grain of salt and go with my gut.
  • It is scary but I'm trying to relax I lay him on his back I think he has enough strengh to roll back to his back good thing his crib is right next to me any lil noise I get up
  • edited August 2013
    Maybe try a wedge so he's not completely on his stomach but he feels more comfortable than his back? ( @perly )

I'll let mine sleep on their stomach during the day when I'm right there watching them, but try not to at night, but try not to stress about it either.

If it makes anyone feel better, I always check on my newborns all night long to make sure they're still breathing! Lol Even after having kids for over 20 years now! Lol

• @starrxoxo9 I agree my son didn't sleep on his back at all my mom convinced my after two weeks to lay himon his belly. At two he is still sleeping onhis belly. It's crazy I was positive I would kill my baby if I laid him on his belly.