fifth diease in my toddler!?.... FINAL update!

edited August 2013 in Babies Health
So over the weekend i had posted that my LO was teething and she developed a small fever and so on... This morning was a totally different turn of events. She deleveloped a red bloatchy rash all over face which is spread to her chest and is now starting in her legs and arms. Im freaked out cause doctors cant do anything but home remedies like lotions. I understand that everyone gets this virus once in their life time. But i have never heard od this nor do i know if i have ever had it. Which is very bad for pregnant women. My daughter has been a complete grouch and will not stop whining. Im losing my mind trying to make this child happy or at least comfortable.

Has anyone dealt with this? Please help!!

Comments

• Well you need to follow doc instructions. And I'm sorry yes it can be frustrating but your lo is the one that hasn't been feeling well for many days now has to deal with the rash. She needs comfort right now it's not her fault she's miserable and may come out as being grouchy but she's little that's how the express discomfort at this stage. I hope she feels better soon!
  • Well clearly i understand the reasoning on why shes miserable.. But at the same time one person can do so much before they start to feel lost or feel like im not able to help them. My doc wont do nothing. Theres no exact medicince and just to take the reguluar routine of child advil or tempra only if the fever comes back. Its such a stressful illness to help settle her down with. Apparently it goes away on its own, but i cant bare to see my baby girl like this . i miss her happy little bubblyness. :(

What has anyone done to help with thier LO rash?
  • When my lo gets a rash, I rub him down with coconut oil. I don't know if it helps or if it's just a calming massage. What kind of cream did the Dr recommend?
  • You can even melt the coconut in a warm bath and soak her in it.
  • He didnt recommend me anything. Which im upset about cause i have no idea what to do. Luckily i have a jar of coconut oil i could try. Shes been sleeping here and there alot which is unusal cause shes very active.
  • Like I said, it may not do alot for the rash, but it might help her to calm down. I understand your frustration and I hope she gets to feeling better soon. You should consider getting a second opinion.
  • Are you sure its fifths disease? Sounds like roseola to me?? Did you take lo to the docs?
  • Is it a raised rash??
  • A walk in clinic today. Tomorrow i get my family doctor appointment for her
  • @coltensmamma not a this moment its not raised. The rash is just starting to appear everwhere. It started on her face
  • Google roseola...i freaked when it happened to my daughter. Always starts with a few days of a high fever, the fever will break and usually the next day the rash appears. Its more of a blothcy rash and wont be raised. Usually worse of the trunk of the body (tummy and back) but will usually spread. My daughter ened up with the rash everywhere too.
  • If it is roseola, the rash usually doesnt last longer then 48 hrs. The rash is not painful or ithcy for them and usuqlly doesnt require any treatment. My daughters was greatly diminished in 24 hrs and was hardly visible by 48hrs. I hope thats what it is. Im not sure, but i think itsmuch less serious then fifths disease.
  • @coltensmamma i googled it and wow its exactly the same symptoms shes showing me. It still says that theres not much to do to get rid of it. Ohhh my poor baby girl :(
  • Yah they told me no treament, but like i said the rash went away so quickly it was crazy. Once the rash was gone she was back to normal pretty quickly. Im praying for ya girl!! Stay patient and heal her with mommies love! Lol
  • I had fifths disease as an adult and they told me it had to run its course that there was nothing I could take to make it go away. I suggest coconut oil as we use it for everything and it may calm the rash and pain meds either Tylenol or advil. I hope your little starts to feel better soon. It is no fun as it is flu like systems plus the rash :(
  • Thanks @coltensmamma and @jessibear im going to continue mommy love of course, and i hope she feels better too.

Its so freaky when your a first time mom and these illness' creep up and not knowing they even exsisted!
  • Hope she feels better soon! My LO got roseola when he was 15mo old and the fever spiked so fast he had a febrile seizure, so I know how scary it can be to not know what's wrong because the rash doesn't come until days after the fever starts.
  • My youngest just had fifth disease recently. Like others said it just has to run it's course unfortunately. Honestly the fever will help her get rid of it faster, that's the body's way of fighting infections. Viruses can't live above certain tempatures so the body creates a fever to kill them. However, if she's absolutely miserable then it's understandable to giver her something for it. My lo's usually get the most grumpy when they starting to get better. It's like they're not miserable enough to just lay around & sleep, but they're not well enough to feel normal. So maybe she's on her way to recovery! Do you have anyone to help you?
  • @excitedforoctober im glad the fever part is over so i can relax about the seizures. That sounds like a really scary situation!!

@wilsomom i have my fiance here but he's just as clueless as i am. Lol. My daughter is way to miserable. She just wants to lay on that couch and that is that. She wont touch any food and its getting me anxious cause i think she should eat something. Since the weekend she barely ate. I gave her a smoothie this morning but she didnt finish even half before falling asleep
  • Don't worry about her eating, when thee body is fighting infection the digestion system shuts down to reserve energy for the immune system. Just think, when you're really sick you don't feel much like eating. Do however get her to drink as much as possible so she doesn't get dehydrated. Even popsicles or jello count as liquid. Or offer some water, juice or pedialite every 15 minutes or so. Try not to stress, you'll get through this. I know it's hard watching your child be miserable, but just do the best you can to comfort her, even is it's just holding her or sitting next to her. All kids want their mama when they're sick...even when they grow up! Lol
  • Sorry so long, I hope I don't sound like a know it all lol, just trying to help. :)
  • Lol @wilsomom no you dont!! Lol very helpful actually! She has been drinking lots so thats good news :)
  • Ok good lol
  • Doc thinks she has a uti!? Whats with these docs??? Last time i checked it didnt gibe you rashes
  • edited August 2013
    They think the rash is from a uti? I have never heard of that before either. Does she still have the rash? No mention of rosela?
  • He didnt mention anything ive written on this post. He did the casual check up like ears throat and stomach and he said shes fine. Hes sending me for a urine test to see if its the uti. He didnt spend any time exaiming her skin. What a p*ss off. I hate running in circles. I just want to help my baby.
  • Sometimes lo's will get a uti when sick because they're not drinking enough. I hope she gets better soon! :(
  • Tonight i took my daughter to a childrens hospital where she would get proper care and examination. Turns out its actually Rosela!!! I think the other doc i saw was smoking something cause he was so off. The childrens doctor knew right off the bat just by examining her rash and symptoms. She will be okay and im so relieved about that... just need to keep my eye on her incase it gets worse. :) some calomine lotion on her skin will be good for her and some nutrient drinks to keep her nutrituion up from her loss of apetite.

Thanks everyone for the advice and wishing her well!! :-)
  • Glad you took her somewhere else and were finally able to figure out what was wrong with her. Hope she feels better soon! :)
  • That's good that you got some peace of mind now. Hoping for a quick recovery!