carpal tunnel from pregnancy

edited September 2013 in Health
I've had carpal tunnel since having my 2 ye old but it wasn't that bad, ever since having my second though it is so horrible, it wakes me up multiple times at night, every morning I wake up my right hand is so numb and also hurts all the way up my arm I can't even change a diaper I have to wait like 30 min. When I'm driving holding on to the wheel makes both fingers go numb, washing my hair makes my hands hurt, even texting on my phone like I am typing right now my fingers are numb. I have a Dr appointment Sep 12 but that seems so far away when every day is a challenge. Does anybody have this or know any tricks or what to do to ease this? I also think I may have arthritis in my hands and hips I'm gonna ask them to do a blood test for that too. I feel like a 80 year old woman I'm only 22 :( but arthritis runs in my family and I have an injury to my hips from a car accident and I read that arthritis can sometimes stem from injuries.

Comments

• Well my mom has it and she wears this thing on her hand at night which guess helps cause it keeps it still at night so it's not all soar in the morning.
  • My coworker got this real bad when she had her first daughter. She had to wear a brace on her hand because it got so bad.
  • Im going through the same thing right now :( only a week so far. It sucks but not much to do than to wear a brace. Im 30 weeks so now it seems forever if I continue like this. Hope you feel better I know how annoying yet painful it is
  • @jules & @Frantastic yeah I've heard of the brace I expect ill be given those at my Dr appointment too I just wish it was now and not in 10 days :(

@novmom2be i never had it during my first pregnancy it only came after, and then getting pregnant a second time kind of cured it I never had issues during that pregnancy either but afterward it just got worse and worse
  • well if u think ur doc will give u one then for now u shoukd wrap ur wrist and night at least with ace bandage. Thats what I would do.
  • Ive had it since I was sixteen. I had a release surgery and it helped for a while but now its back. They gave me a brace to wear at night. It didnt help. Surgery really helped me but i think my doctor uses old methods. Go to a doctor who is up to date with the newest proven procedures. I know its bad.
  • My hands go numb no matter what i do. I also have a disease in my wrist called kienbocks disease. My hands are constantly in pain. They put me on neurontin and it has helped me immensely. Ask about that maybe. Good luck!
  • What if I do it wrong like idk if I'm supposed to do it tight or not too tight or do I wrap up to my fingers or up my arm? I feel like if I wrapped it in bandages I would have more numbness because it would cut off circulation ..?
  • Ok I will ask. I'm seeing a new Dr up at the university so hopefully they are up to date if anybody is idk @mrsrobbins6113
  • Well just do it enough to create little less movement in your hand. I don't think it will cut off ccirculation or make it worse. If that were the case doc wouldn't have others with it do it or wear brace.
  • I didn't read the responses to your thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Try going to a chiropractor. I work in a chiropractic office & we have 3 patients with this same issue. Their problem has either gone away or gotten 90% better.
  • @Jules your right ill have to go get some ace bandages tomorrow

@1stWoodsBaby I'm curious how a persons back is related to the carpal tunnel nerve? I would've never thought of going to a chiropractor for my hands what do they do that helps? I've been wanting to see a chiropractor anyway for my sciatica
  • There is a specific carpal tunnel wrist beace at walgreens u can get..the point of the brace is to immobilize the wrist so that you can give the carpal tunnel time to heal itself ..I've had it since I was about 15 weeks pg with my 2nd babe who is now 8 weeks old...I'm praying it goes away on its own :/
  • I had it really bad in both hands when I was pregnant and I had to buy a wrist brace from cvs and it helped a lot but I still woke up crying at night because of the pain. It went away right after having my daughter.
  • Chiropractors work on more than just backs. There are nerves, tendons, muscles & bones everywhere. We can work on ankles, fingers, wrists, elbows. Everything. But to answer your question, the nervous system is in the spine and it controls everything. So if something is out of line and pushing on a certain area of the nervous system, it affects the body. So a quick adjustment and you're like a new person. It's really amazing.