I HATE MICE!!!

I have this cradle I haven't been using that I was going to give to a woman at my church that has next to nothing and just had her 4th baby. I decided to wipe it down with Lysol wipes since we haven't used it for about a year and a half. and SO GROSS! There was mice pee pee all OVER that thing. I cleaned it BIG TIME and she said she still wants it.
but now I'm making myself crazy thinking about how of they crawled into an empty cradle, I'm sure they've been crawling into my two sons cribs that are warm and comfy.
and then I'm thinking about us walking with bare feet on mice pee and whether or not they've peed all over their cribs (the cribs are dark brown the cradle is white, that's how I could tell with the pee). and I'm thinking about has it crawled in the dresser drawers and peed and pood all over their clothes and my clothes? I just want to rip my house apart and stuff every freaking hole I find, but im a house as old as ours there are so many I'm sure (we did this downstairs after our first winter here and there were eight or nine on the main level alone! and those are just the ones we found, who knows there could be more). but ripping the house apart and filling the holes would take forever too cause we'd have to move all of our big heavy furniture and search everywhere for holes. with two boys, a dog, my husband working full time and starting school next week, who has time for that???
but I am just grossing myself out thinking of all the possibilities of mouse pee and poop everywhere.
we're not dirty people and we're actually clearing out a lot of junk we don't need or use so it's not like we have a ton of clutter, but we do live two blocks outside of west philly where just outside is dirty, old, rundown, so it's like....we get dirty bugs and rodents because we can't afford to live somewhere nicer right now. so gross. and I understand mice happen in nicer areas too, but this is extreme.
I have glue traps downstairs, but I guess it's time to put them all over now.

Comments

• Well if it were me I would take one small area at a time. Like if it were my house start from top down maybe just one of the kids closet maybe just half hour take things out wipe down check for an opening if nothing put things back. If u see one figure out how you can fix it up and maybe do that next day. It doesn't have to all be done in one day but I would get it done before winter..I sure wouldn't want to deal with mice especially during winter. Mice sure aren't fun at least its not bugs they are impossible. Good luck!
  • How do you feel about cats? I know you said you have a dog but cats are very effective at bringing down mouse populations. If you get one from a shelter that could help. You would want one that's a little more on the wild side, less cuddly house cat more ferral, feed it once a day not over fed so it will want to hunt, that might be a solution.
  • @jules, well we do have bugs, but I've only had issues with them in the basement and it's pretty few and far between with them.
    Taking it an area at a time is a good idea. we'll have to do that cause I definitely want to get it all taken care of before it gets cold. it just sucks in these old row homes cause a lot of the holes we found on the main level were under the radiators so they are a pain in the a** to fix, but we'll do our best!
    @Frantastic my hhusband is super allergic to cats, otherwise I totally would. :( But we have cats that wander the neighborhood and if I ever see them in our yard, I never shoo them away cause I figure they could at least keep them at bay.
    however, I will say, our neighbor next door is a total sweetheart, she's an old woman that I'm pretty sure has lived here from the beginning of the neighborhood, but she feeds the birds every morning, hot or cold weather and it attracts all sorts of animals. she straight up scatters bread crumbs all the way down her sidewalk in the backyard and then spreads peanut butter on a slice of bread, cuts it into small squares and leaves it on a plate outside for the birds. but I've seen squirrels, chipmunks and raccoons out there so I'm sure it attracts mice too. She's so sweet, but man oh man....I don't like the rodents attraction.
    I'll definitely be filling up holes and cleaning stuff off all over the place for the next few weeks!
  • Oh man that would be hard I'm sorry :(.