Clogged Tearduct.

edited September 2013 in Babies Health
Woke up this morning and my LO had a yellow mucus like discharge on his eye. I looked it up on google and they say it's a clogged tear duct. I wiped his eye with a warm clean cloth to clean it up and now his eye looks a little swollen. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow to see what needs to be done. Poor LO, first jaundice and now this.

Anyone elses LO has this before? If so, what did you do?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    My daughter have it very small so it does happen. I just took care of it myself bc it wasn't infected however if it does get infected I think they give you special drops for it. Did you have him get drops at the hospital after birth? But what ive read and did was everytime my daughter woke up use clean clothe little warm water and clean it up like u have been and massage the duct will get it going and also put put some breastmilk on it. Hers went away very fast. Hope that helps. My daughters eye never gotten swollen like I said it was very tiny amount
  • My first daughter had it and all we did was use a warm cloth and compress. She would get it in the same eye every so often for a while then it completely went away
  • But breast milk on it every couple hours thru the day with warm compresses if you want. Both my kids had it and once I put the breast milk on it, it went away no issues!!
  • @jules: It's not swollen it's more on the puffy side.

@jules, @myHEARTZx3, @newmommie1014: Did just drop the milk in their eyes by breast or bottle or you soaked a cloth.
  • Just put tiny milk on your finger from bottle or whenever and put it on the corner of the eye.
  • Ny daughter had one I just rubbed it with the finger and used a warm wash cloth.
  • My daughter got it twicenin the same eye. Warm wash cloth and breast milk if you're breastfeeding.
  • For sure keep me updated!
  • Rowan had that for about 6 months. Warm wash cloth and then massage underneath the eye up towards the nose. I would do it every time he nursed. It gets frustrating, but should resolve on its own by a year.

Congrats on your handsome little guy. :)
  • @HopefulMom2Be: Thank you.

@RTMommy Thank you. I hope it doesn't last that long.

@jules: It seems to have gone away. This morning his eye was clear and no mucus. I don't know but I'm still going to monitor his eye. My grandma used to be a nurse and told me just to pat his eye down with a warm cloth and slowly massage it. It seemed to have work. I did rub a little breastmilk on it.
  • Ya I would just keep doing that today just in case if he wakes up clear again tom then ur good to go.
  • My youngest son had one for about a year & half. His eye always looked puffy & red & would leak (tears). The Dr just told me it would fix itself and massage it multiple times throughout the day with a warm cloth. Woke up one morning & his eye had fixed itself. He required glasses (for only that eye- one lens was only glass) for a few years & now has perfect vision.