Advice?

edited September 2013 in Food
Advice for getting my 2 year old to at least try things.... She won't try anything still. She only eats fruit, breaded chicken, breakfast sausage, bacon, hot dog/corn dogs, pb&j, yogurt, and bread products and of course candy and crap like that. Any advice/help welcome

Comments

• Try introducing her to the food BEFORE you actually put it in front of her to eat. For example, my daughter has this puzzle and one of the pieces has a carrot on it and I'll say "yummy carrot!!" And what do you know, I made chicken stew and she picked out a carrot, took a bite and said "yummy carrot!" Lol. You could also try pictures of food or play food. I feel like if you talk about it and pretend with it first it's less "scary" when they actually try it. Of course there are some things they just won't like as kids but their taste buds change as they get older so just keep trying, but don't make a huge deal out of it or she will get overwhelmed.
  • @Starrxoxo9 I'll Try That But I Doubt It Will Work She Has Play Food We Play/Talk About And She'll "Taste" Those But Not The Real Thing
  • @chelcie89 My daughter won't eat half those things! Lol I know a lot of moms hear (like myself) are having difficulty with making their 2 year old eat. I think its a phase.
  • Just keep offering other stuff to her. Maybe have one meal a day where that other stuff isn't offered at all. Eat the same stuff with her.
  • I wish my son would eat even one of those things!! I too think it's a phase, I try not to worry about it and just continually offer him things all the time. I have noticed that he eats things better or at least is willing to try things more when it comes from MY plate rather than his. So he'll try it when I'm eating it and then I'll offer to put him in his chair and have the same thing. This stage is SO difficult!!!
  • My daughter will eat anything and everything she loves all healthy foods. I think it's bc she's really interested in what we eat. Shes always wanted to try whatever she saw us have. So put all the other stuff away all unless it's healthy obviously and start eating what you want her to eat and make it sound so yummy that she can't help but be interested. Maybe just share even what's on your plat bc sometimes they think we give them something different when its on their plat. Hope you find something that works. And whatever you do don't give up. My cousins kids are 6 and 4 now and she never even tried they are soo picky and only eat few things and none of them are that healthy. It's great to see someone like you actually try! Keep up the good work :)
  • @everyone Thanks. I have tried most of these things especially the feeding her off my plate It doesn't work she could care less what I'm eating. She Shows No Interest In Trying Anything I Just Wish She Would At Least TRY it! I Just Don't Know What To Do Besides Keep Trying. Dinner Is Usually The Meal I Try To Get Her To Eat What We Eat Because Breakfast Is Kinda Rushed Anyways So I Don't Have Time To Fight With Her And Lunch She Is At Daycare So I Have To Pack A Lunch (Sorry For All The Caps My Phone Automatically Does That On Here For some Reason It's Very Annoying Lol)
  • Sounds like she knows what she wants and won't have it any other way. I'm sorry that's very hard. I sure hope she comes around. Maybe pack new things for lunch and she won't have an option plus the other kids will be eating maybe she will just eat it bc they are eating. But it's good that your trying with dinner. What do you usually do if she doesn't want it? Or how does she act when she doesn't want whatever is in front of her?
  • edited September 2013
    Madison does the same thing, when she gets closer to 3 I'm going to do what someone on here suggested and if they don't eat what we have for dinner they can have a peanut butter sandwich which they make themselves, she said in a couple days most will start eating actual food
    I think it was @wilsomom (I cannot for the life off think of how to spell it)
  • @Kimberly4411 That was me lol

If you don't want her to have certain foods, simply don't offer them. But I think it's ok to serve lots of the healthier choices she does like until she wants more of the other options.
  • if She Won't EaT What I Cook Usually I Give Her Fruit And Something She Likes But Usually Still Leave The Other stuff But Most Of The tIme it Ends Up On The Floor If Its Something new. i've Tried Sneaking A BiTe In Her MoUth And She Either Spits It Out, Screams And cRies, OR Forces herself To Throw Up... I Just Don't Know What To Do?
  • Well unfortunately she's still young to understated that you eat what is served so you just try here and there like you have been and hopefully she starts liking more. But if she's getting enough nutrients that's all that matters for now. Don't worry too much about it. Sounds like she's eating healthy just not too much variety just yet she will get there :)
  • Do you think she'll drink like a fruit smoothie? If she would, you can make her smoothies of fruits she likes and just sneak in a veggie or two in there. The flavor of the fruit will overpower the flavor of the veggie and she won't ever know.
    Its worth a try.