Moms of circumcised boy?

edited September 2013 in Babies
How long does it take to heal? I know all babies heal differently but an estimated would help me out a lot. DS is scheduled to have his Tuesday, October 1st.

Comments

• My son was circumsized the day after he was born and that was a Tuesday. By the next tuesday, he was completely healed.

They're gonna give you vaseline(petroleum jelly) to put on, what I would do is just pack it on there. It may sound like I over did it, but it healed fast so it worked. And change his diaper often. If you stay on top of it, it will be healed in about a week maybe less.
  • Usually a week to 10 days.
  • Is there a reason you're having him circ'd? Since you're breastfeeding, there will most likely be a negative impact on your breastfeeding relationship afterwards.

http://www.savingsons.org/2012/06/the-womanly-art-of-breastfeeding.html

http://soggymom.blogspot.com/2012/03/circumcision-yes-or-no-or-wait.html

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/11/circumcision-leads-to-breastfeeding.html
  • edited September 2013
    I had my son circd at about 2wks. Healed at about one week...And I breastfeeding him just fine. I don't know of (personally) of people having issues nursing after the procedure.
  • @perly: That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll be on top of everything.

@Wilsomom: Thanks.

@EricaK22: I have never heard of circumcisions messing with breastfeeding. I'm sure the women who replied were breastfeeding when they got their sons circumcised. Its not a big reason. All that extra meat left on the penis isn't good. If not cleaned properly it can lead to infections and other things. So why not cut that skin off. I dated a guy who wasn't circumcised and he wished his mother would have done it when he was a baby. He ended up getting circumcised at 21 and it is much more painful at 21 years old than at 2 weeks old.

@kayleigh27: Thanks. Exactly.
  • Well @Kayleigh27 everyones child is different, but there's lots of evidence showing that it does. I just don't think it's worth risking, personally.
  • Wow. The foreskin has 16 functions! 16!! And has OVER 20,000 nerve endings. That's a LOT to be cutting off, not just an "extra piece of meat!" Besides, men who can't keep their junk clean probably weren't taught proper hygiene as a child! I'm sure it was painful at 21yrs of age to get the most sensitive part of his penis lopped off, but at least he had pain meds. No 2 week old child is given ANY pain meds.
  • And infections do not happen unless the foreskin has been retracted. It's fused the glands just like your finger nail is attached to your finger. No bacteria can get in unless it's forced back.
  • edited September 2013
    @EricaK22: Pain meds didn't do anything for him also the fact it took longer to heal and him not being able to wear pants. For a whole week straight he had to wear a gown. Until you've seen a grown man go through the pain its best to be quiet about the situation. It burned when he peed so he tried holding it in and ended up with a bladder infection. Was admitted to the hospital and had a catheter insert into his penis. Pain meds can only help so much.

You can teach your child proper hygiene all you want but as they get older its a different story. We were all taught to cover our mouths when we sneezed and coughed. Wash our hands after coming from outside. Brush your teeth after every meal, etc etc. Yet we tend to not always do what we were taught.

Regardless of how you look at it. It's an extra piece of meat too. You don't think a child should be circumcised. I never met an uncircumcised guy who didn't wish that they parents should
  • Both of my boys got circumcised and it didn't affect BF AT ALL. It took about 10 days, more or less. BTW do u know which procedure they are using? My youngest baby had the plasti bell one done and although it was a bit harder to look at its supposed to be better but I noticed no difference with my older sons circumcision. I'm curious though, why didn't they do it before you guys got discharged from the hospital? I had to also take my youngest to get his done about a week after and I was so pissed!

@ericak22 are u speaking from experience?
  • @ExcitedForOctober: I really don't know why they wanted to wait. I can ask at his appointment. I never knew they did it the same day the baby was born or before they discharged you. I kind of wish they did because I'm not looking forward to seeing my baby in pain.
  • @excitedforoctober I'm speaking actual FACTS. I'd NEVER mutilate my childs genitals.

@veevee yeah ok. An extra piece of meat. Your clitoral hood is an extra piece of meat as well, and its also YOUR foreskin. There are men who HATE their parents for strapping them down on a plastic board, and having a dr rip their most sensitive organ apart. Those men have gone to sue their parents & the drs who done that do them. I mean, wouldn't you be pissed if your parents said "oh pft she doesn't need this labia or clit, so just chop it off! No important function there!" As you must of been saved from that because female circumcision was legal in the US until 1997. And you don't think it will hurt when a baby pees on an open WOUND?!
  • @ErikaK22 hun, I get what you're saying. If I had a boy I would not of circumcised either. But that's not what she was asking for, nor will the way you're speaking to them change their minds. By all means, be against it. Share info if someone is asking of they should or shouldn't do it. But belittling them is not going to sway their decision, its only going to ruffle feathers and get this post closed without the op getting an answer.

@veevee sorry I have no answer for you, I only have a girl!
  • @natashalynn oh I'm certainly not belitting her. Just giving her factual information.
  • @Natashalynn: Thank you.

@EricaK22: I have nothing against anyone who doesn't want to circumcise their child. I already did the pros and cons of circumcision and I choose to do it anyway. My decision. Why get upset about it. My mind is made up. I thank you for your opinion but nothing you can say will change that.

Most of the men in my family were circumcised and have no problem with it. SO and his brothers were circumcised and they are fine with it. I also have family members who weren't circumcised. Their parents decision. I have never heard of men suing their parents because of a circumcision, there maybe some, but I never heard of it. I have heard more of men being upset that their parents didn't circumcise them.
  • edited September 2013
    My sons was healed in a week. Just make sure you do as dr says. I made she he was always changed as soon as the pee hit the diaper. His turned out great. I also have never heard of it affecting breastfeeding. I didn't breastfeed because of my labor problems and was on magnesium sulfate so I couldn't see my son for 24 hours after due to him being on oxygen.
  • @PumpkinCupcake0307: I'm glad I got the diapers with the indicator on them. He'll be in a onesie or a t-shirt after his circumcision so I can keep an eye on him. I will make sure to ask the doctors and nurse how to properly to clean the area. I know to stay awake from wipes.
  • Yes, exactly why I was mad because I feel like the older they are the more it hurts. They are supposed to do it before the baby gets released.

@ericak22 until you have had a boy, circumcised him and noticed a negative effect on breastfeeding I don't think you should give your opinion but she never even asked for pros and cons on the topic and you are just trying to scare her out of her decision? Why do you assume you are the only one who did her "research"? She seems like an intelligent woman, I'm, sure she's making a well informed decision.

This is really getting annoying, I feel like these "all natural" mamas are so quick to put their two cents in when it is not asked for, but it is shoved down peoples throats. "oh you give your sick child antibiotics?, you're a bad mom!" "oh you don't breastfeed? You are a horrible mom!" "oh you are going to circumcise your son? You are so uninformed!" I think it is so rude to be judged on the way you decide to raise YOUR child.
  • @excitedforoctober why did i give her information? Because no AMERICAN doctor is going to give you the truth about it. I do have a boy, but i knew before that it was wrong to mutilate the genitals of an innocent baby who has no say in whats happening. Now i understand why HBA decided to leave.

• @ericak22 and that was the right decision FOR YOU. Doesn't mean that's the right choice for everyone else. Why can you just feel good about your choice and leave everyone else alone and not try to make them feel guilty about their choice? Same thing with HBA, she was trying to make someone feel guilty about being precautious and taking antibiotics and she got mad that people defend their decisions. That's why she left, because not everyone believes in what she believes in. I don't mind being looked at as the bad guy because I don't stay quiet when I feel like people are trying to be bullied into feeling like they are bad moms. Nobody says you are uninformed and irresponsible for not circumcising your son so why do u feel the need to do the opposite?
  • Once again, HBA was stating FACTS. They don't give antibiotics to.women of unknown gbs status. She should know being a midwife. But since this america, drs try to dumb down their patients, and they believe them. Now this forum has lost a person with tons of helpful information. Oh, I'm certainly not uninformed, watching a circ video is enough to make you know its wrong, and a violation of human rights.

• @ericak22 giving facts is fine, I can also google "benefits of circumcising" and can come on here and try to make myself seem better than thou and and very intelligent. Lol, because she's a midwife she knows everything? That's kind of a ridiculous statement.
  • What benefits? There are none! Yes, she does know. She's obviously a midwife, and knows up to date info on these types of subjects. Just like saying "my dr has a phd! They know everything!" Kinda pointless arguing with procutters. Its like arguing with a wall. No one wants the facts, and not some bs from an american dr
  • @ericak22 you know if she wanted an opinion she would have said im thinking about doing this what is everyone's opinion. But she made the post to get an idea on simply how long it takes. And since you haven't experienced it with your child you didn't need to say anything. I don't like when people put in their two cent without being asked I think it's rude. Because you are assuming that @veevee didn't do her research therefore someone should inform her. If you really wanted to do the right thing I should have double check by simply asking "are you sure this is what you want for your child just curious, not trying be rude or anything" she would have said yes. That's when you need to move on. She's grown women who loves and cares for her son just as much as anyone of us for our kids I'm sure she knows what she's doing. And I agree with @excitedforoctober doing things differently if it's choosing formula over breastfeed, to vaccinate or not, circumcise or not all those things does not make mother irresponsible, uneducated, horrible not any of it. It's personal choice to do it one way or another. My hubby because his father was in marines and lived on base in Philippines wasn't circumcised until 10 years old and it sure wasn't and isn't fun memory. I wouldn't want my child to have to remember all that pain like @veevee was describing about a friend. Because they could grow up and want it done then they have to deal with it. And I think it's very rude for you to say that no doc will tell you the truth. I have two doc in the family one being my sister and she sure tells the truth and both sides to things she wants her patients to make choice no matter what the circumstance is in what's best for their child. She shares what she knows or gives them the tools in order to find more out on their own..she doesn't just show her own opinion down people and have them do it. Maybe you have had experienced that kind of a doc but not right to say No doc will tell you. Because there are lots of the doc out there that will. I have great doc around me and my family.
  • I am sure all either of you guys do is very biased "research". What's the difference in saying "she's a midwife, she knows what she's talking about" and "she's a doctor, she knows what she's talking about"? Hypocrisy at its best!
  • Biased? i guess science is wrong!
  • Well i didn't ask for your opinion either @jules. Kudos to your family of drs for being honest!
This discussion has been closed.