Sudden Low Supply? Help.

edited September 2013 in Breastfeeding
I was once overflowing my bottles with my breastmilk, now I'm hardly getting an ounce out of each breast when I pump.

This just started yesterday. Saturday I pumped a bottle and a half off of one breast. The bottle I used are the "Babies First Weeks" by Medela and they hold up to 2.7oz.

How could my supply go so quick. I gave been takibg my vitamins. Maybe I should try Fenugreek until my supply builds up. I'm a little frustrated as I don't want to supplement with formula just yet.

What's going on? How can I build my supply back up?

Comments

• Are you keeping up with your fluids? If it dropped that suddenly, I'd be looking at fluid intake.I can't see fenugreek hurting although I'm no Dr,
  • I took fenugreek to help with breastfeeding my son it did work but makes you smell like syrup. Try having your baby latch on my Dr told me that was the best to help with my flow till it came in nice in good something about their suction helps bring in the milk and sure enough it did help. Also their are certain kids of food you can eat that helps too I can't remember try googling it.
  • Drink more fluids especially Gatorade it's said go have helped many. And fenugreek is good idea, don't hurt ya. But if you can put him back on that will stimulate it all again and if it were me I would feed him and pump in between next couple days until you see an improvement. Best of luck!
  • Thanks @natashlynn @debs @jules.

It could be my fluid intake. I'm gonna Google some foods. I never thought of Gatorade. I hate the smell of syrup. Lol.
  • Lol I didn't like smelling like syrup either but for most it goes away pretty fast and it obviously won't be there if you stop taking them. Hope you find something. What about mothers milk tea that doesn't make you smell
  • @jules: Where can I get mothers milk?
  • Any health store I got mine at hanrys I'm sure rayleys has it. Any place that has natural vitamins and stuff will have it.
  • I think you may be pumping too soon. Try breastfeeding consistently for the first 6 weeks. Pump after you've nursed, don't substitute a nursing session with pumping. Your milk is based off of supply and demand and pumping is not as efficient as nursing. You can still bottle feed, just make sure you establish your supply first. Baby grows so much in the first few weeks and exclusively nursing is important.
  • @jules: I'll Google some places to see if they have any in my area.

@Mijita: I think that's what I'm going to start doing. I'm driving myself crazy over here. I think ill just pump when my boobs get engorged.
  • That's good idea hope you find it!
  • @jules: How did Gatorade work for you?
  • They sell the tea at gnc and I think I got mine st target
  • It just keeps your supply. Someone on here told me about it so I tried it helped me little. I did everything though and they all helped little I just didn't have much to work with in first place lol
  • @sands3: I frequent Target a lot. I'll ask an associate next time I'm there.

@jules: Oh okay.
  • Studies show that nipple confusion happens less after 6 weeks of exclusively nursing. :) I agree with Mijita and have successfully breast fed 4 babies doing so. Good luck sweetie!
  • Eat alot of oatmeal, it helps.
  • @ExcitedForOctober: I bought a big container of oatmeal today and ate a nice big bowl.

@Fate: How long did you breastfeed?
  • 1st- 2 years
    2nd- 2 years
    3rd- 8 months (became pregnant with 4th)
    4th- 11 months (now I'm 23 weeks pregnant)
  • @Fate: Wow. You've been busy, lol.
  • Gatorade worked amazingly for me, surprisingly!
  • @veevee not sure if it really works or not but I heard from a lady at wic that if you smell your baby's blanket or a piece of clothing it will help your flow, your baby's scent gets your hormones going as well? Guess it doesn't hurt to try it? (:
  • edited October 2013
    Remember that introducing a bottle while breastfeeding, in the early weeks, may make him less efficient at drawing out milk. Nipple flow from a bottle takes less effort than drawing out from the breast. This is what they mean about nipple confusion. Let him build up your supply and his jaw strength before you introduce the bottle consistently.
  • @new_momma2011: Interesting.

@Mijita: I decided to stop pumping and take the bottle away until I go back to work.