Storing Breastmilk: Ice Tray Storage.

edited October 2013 in Breastfeeding
Excerpt from "The Exclusives Pumpers!" forum on BabyCenter.
8) Speaking of costs, how can I store my milk without using so many breast milk storage bags?

There are two things most people do to cut down their use of the storage bags.

The 1st is to not use them at all. Some people freeze their milk in ice-cube trays and then transfer the frozen cubes to a freezer bag labeled with the date. Each cube is appox. 1oz so you just defrost as many as you need.
I might try this as I try to rebuild my supply. If I pump at 7-8 times a day depending on how much I pump in a session I could fill up a tray or two a day, which will be 2 to 4 bottles a day. Until my supply picks back up.

The reason why I'm pumping is because I go back to work in December and I don't want my baby on formula while at work. My mom can easily grab a bottle out the fridge or a grab a storage bag and thaw it out.

Comments

• That's what I did! Worked so well!! Actually that's what I did with all her soft food, when she was older obviously. I made huge purees of stuff like sweet potatoe, avocado, peas, pears, etc. I could thaw what she was going to eat that day, or put it in the mesh feeder when she was teething.
  • edited October 2013
    @natashalynn: That sounds like a good idea when Elijah gets older. My question is what do you thaw out the ice-cubes in?
  • Put the ice cubes in a bag and sit the bag in hot water till it is thawed.
  • edited October 2013
    @MorgDeeBee: Thank you.