naturally inducing labor

edited October 2013 in Labor
So I went at 36 weeks for a growth scan bc baby was big at my 30 week sono. So last week (36 weeks) he was estimated 8lbs 10oz. Had a docts apt today a little over 37 weeks and I'm measuring at 41 weeks. Have been having contractions but nothing consistent to go to hospital yet. Anyway I was telling a friend how I do not want to be induced with this one and would love to go .into labor on my own which doctor is all for. She was telling me that her doctor told her to use her breast pump to help induce labor... Iv never heard of that before and was wondering if anyone else has and is it even safe? My doctor has told me to walk and have lots of sex. I really want to go.into labor on my own but scared of having a 11lb+ baby. Any ways to naturally and safely help baby on his way? Will not do castor oil or anything crazy like that

Comments

• Its called nipple stimulation. And yes its safe. Walking and sex may work as well.
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but like its been said many times on here before, you will go into labor when your body and your baby are ready. It still doesn't hurt to try these things, it might help get your body ready. I hope something works for you :)
  • I don't have any advice as I had to be induced with my first. But I'm also hoping to go into labor on my own this time around! (Fingers crossed for us).
    Good luck!! 5 weeks until I'm 36 weeks :)
  • @Kimberly4411 good luck to u as well :) I really do want an induction this time either but I don't want a csection bc baby is to big. As of now doctor and myself are hoping I go into labor within the next few days on my own. @perly I know that I can't rush anything that's not ready and don't planon doing anything that is not safe but really nipple stimulation can cause the start of labor? Iv never heard of that sounds funny but do you just play with your nipples? She was saying that she was told to actually use a breast pump?! Can't that hurt or will it effect me bf after baby is born? I didn't bf my daughter but I'm determined to this time around.
  • Nipple stimulation with a breast pump or rubbing with your hand releases hormones that causes contractions. That's why when you breast feed after having a baby your uterus cramps up, because it's contracting to help bring it to normal size. Just be careful because it can cause extremely strong contractions sometimes, but you'll know if it's too much. Lol
  • It's totally safe I did it with my first doesn't effect anything I negative way. But also like doc said continue stay active. Use birthing/exercise ball if you have one, do some squats. Hope something works for you. best of luck!
  • Thanks everyone I will be trying it today. Been having contractions for almost a weeknow but nothing consistent. @Jules did it work at all for you?
  • Well I'm not sure because my water end up breaking like day later which is pretty natural thing hard to know if it had anything to do with the things I was doing. I'll keep better track this time in two weeks I'll start my evening primerose oil capsuls then week after that I'll use the ball then after that do the squats and if nothing I'll use my pump by 39 weeks most likely I don't go on my own before then that is. Cause with my first my water broke at 38w6d.
  • Where do u get evening primerose oil? Iv heard of it but never tried it. I drank red raspberry leaf tea with my last and I only pushed for 30 mins and had a quick labor as well. Epo does the same thing right? Help tone your uterus it doesn't actually help start labor right?
  • they have it everywhere literally! But I did and doing red raspberry leaf tea as all..And they have things that are helpful with the uterus, however epo helps thin the cervix especially if you insert it and take it by mouth. I only pushed through two contractions with my first and didn't tear that's why I'm doing both again I swear that's why things went all well the first time!
  • Ok great I think il go get it tonight :) somewhere like cvs or walgreens? Would it be where the vitamins are?
  • Ya for sure! I think even Wal-Mart has it I got mine at natural food store down the street from our house but I know that it's everywhere most people I here have found it at any store that has vitamin section.