Has anyone heard of the defective chest clip on some of the Baby Trend car seats?

Its all over Facebook. People have being complaining on the Baby Trend Facebook page and they don't plan on doing a single thing about it.

Basically, people are complaining because the chest clip is coming undone by a small little wiggle. The mother who started all of this said she was driving when she checked on her son and the clip was undone and he had wiggled out of the straps. Her son is an infant, so its not like he took the thing apart intentionally.

Baby Trend's defense is that the clip is supposed to "break away" in the event of an accident anyway and that the mother most likely had the straps too lose to where her son was able to wiggle out of them.

I personally have never seen a chest clip come apart like that.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Yes I've seen it all over that I guess it's a certain model. We have baby trend infent car seat that came with my jogger it was travel system we bought for our first and I've never had any issues I love both the stroller and car seat. It could have been defective one or maybe she didn't have it tight enough or not even clipped it in the first place my hubby and I have both forgot to buckle Scarlett then notice thank God it's been while we're all in our drive way but anything is possible. However at same time baby trend should be safe then sorry and look into the car seat that's the same as her model. I mean best case they won't find anything then maybe they can send that mom a new one or give her get money back since she's not happy and it is a safety thing shouldn't be over looked just in case.

But like you I've never seen it happen either.
  • @jules the video is on 2 different store models and on their page there are several complaints of people trying it and it coming undone. I think it's crazy that it's supposed to break away cause wouldn't that send the baby flying? I thought the chest clip was one of the major components of a car seat
    They aren't handling it the right way at all
  • Sounds like her straps were not tight enough and the car seat company is correct.
  • @ashley_smashley very interesting! I didn't know that
  • @Kimberly4411 well I'm sorry on my Facebook a friend only posted the article I haven't seen the videos. And I too agree that the company should handle it better as I stated in my original comment. However I've never had that problem. But then again I'm not sure what type the mother has compared to the one we have, or what her situation was. Maybe she forgot or didn't buckle right or she could have slammed on her breaks causing it to come undone as though being in a crash like it's supposed. But either way company isn't handeling it right hopefully they turn around and take care of it.

@ashley_smashley thank you for the article. Great read. I knew that car seats did that only bc of my hubby being paramedic but never taken the time to read anything on it. Thank you got sharing it on here :) I'll have to show him when he gets off his 24 hr shift tomorrow.
  • @jules @kimberly4411 @ashley_smashley
    Im not saying that the company is wrong or that maybe the straps weren't tight enough, but the simple fact that the clip can become undone by the wiggle of an infant is still kinda scary.
    I understand the clip is supposed to break away in the event of an accident, but i just can't take the image out of my head of how its possible for the clip to become undone with such little effort. One woman said that the same happened with her 3 month old. That's just crazy to me. I don't have anything Baby Trend, and the way they have responded to their former loyal customers makes me never want to buy any of their items.
  • Very true that's scary for sure. I mean if it comes undone so easy then once baby is bigger what's going to stop that baby from accidentally undoing it.
  • @jules and it wasn't only happening with one model, it was happening with several different models. Its crazy. Like the article says, the clip is there to help keep the straps in place because they could slide off the child's shoulders. That's another reason why they say the clip needs to be at the same level of their armpit. Imagine if an active baby is wiggling around and the clip becomes undone and then the straps slide off the shoulders and then the accident happens... A baby wouldn't make it. I really hope Baby Trend admits that those clips are cheap and they at least send replacement clips.
  • It's very scary thought for sure! I'm glad my car seat is good to go. I for sure think they need to fix the others unless they want a child getting hurt and the entire company to get sued.
  • I'm so sorry I didn't see your post on this.
  • @veevee its ok. If someone with this car seat doesn't see this maybe they can see yours and find out about it.