Can you get food stamps on maternity leave?

So when I go out on maternity leave our family income is going to take a huge hit. I'm the bread winner in our household and I think the max I can get on disability is $1800 a month. That's not going to cut it. My husband brings home about $1200 a month and we are going to seriously struggle while I'm off. I could cut my leave short but that would make me so sad to not be able to stay home and bond with my new baby :( So my question is can I apply for food stamps while out on disability? I think our income for when I'm out would meet the requirement and it would help tremendously. I'm also going to reapply for Wic since I had that in the past and I'm pretty sure I can get that again. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if you can get assistance while on maternity leave? Any advice would be great.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Yes. You can get food stamps on maternity leave. But if your disability give you $1800 a month I don't think will have give any stamps.
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah like veevee said but I believe you have to make less than that. When I looked into getting food stamps in ca I had to make less than 2069 before taxes a month for a family of 3. I'm sure it depends on which state you live in.
  • I'm in CA as well and I checked the requirements online, for a family of 4 you have to make less than $2500 a month so I think we will qualify. I just wasn't sure if I could get disability and food stamps at the same time. With my husbands income it's very hard to show exactly what he makes so I'm going to try very hard to make this work. Thanks ladies.
  • edited November 2013
    If your disability gives you $1800/month plus his $1200/month, you're making $3000 a month. Which over $2500/month. So you don't qualify.

Don't forget they will include your husbands income because you are married. They will figure you make a enough to take care of your family. If you do get stamps it won't be a lot or enough to feed 4 people.

Which I think they should give mothers on ML/LOA temporary food stamps, but they don't. You can try for emergency stamps.
  • They should give moms on leave temporary food stamps that is an awesome idea. My husband is an independent contractor and so it's very hard to prove the exact amount he makes. I'm going to at least try because I think we can make it happen. Even if they only give us a little every penny helps. Plus I'll be breast feeding a new born and my 2yo doesn't eat that much.
  • I hope you can get it. I applied for stamps too. Not just for ML/LOA but for assistance. I make less than $700/month and its just me and baby. I'm not 100% guaranteed to get it either. Just KMFX.