Life After Baby

edited November 2013 in Postpartum Health
Got this from my BabyCenter "My Baby" app.

Childbirth is a life- and body-changing experience: Your hips and waist may now be slightly wider, and your belly may be softer. Give yourself at least the nine months it took to grow your baby to see something closer to your pre-pregnancy shape. Many women find that they can't return to their before-baby weight. As long as your weight is in a healthy range, this is perfectly okay.

As a new mom, you need all the stamina you can muster to adjust to life with your newborn. A highly restrictive diet can sap your strength and affect your milk supply if you're nursing. If you're patient and give your body a chance to do its work, you may be surprised at how much weight you lose naturally, especially if you're breastfeeding.

Instead of focusing on rapid weight loss through a diet or exercise program that may be impossible to live with the rest of your life, think more carefully about what you eat and how you eat. Here are some suggestions:

Eat smaller, more frequent meals. With a new baby and schedule, it can be hard to find the time to eat. But skipping meals can make energy levels lag – and it won't help you lose weight. Many moms find that eating five to six small meals a day (rather than three larger meals) fits their appetite and schedule better. (A small meal might be half a sandwich, some carrot sticks, fruit, and a glass of milk.)

Don't skip meals in an attempt to lose weight – it won't help, because you'll be more likely to eat more at other meals. And you'll also probably feel tired and grouchy.

Start strong. Even if you've never been much of a breakfast person, keep in mind that eating breakfast can help keep you from feeling famished – and tired – later in the morning, and it can give you the energy to be more active.

Drink water. Carry water in a refillable container and sip it throughout the day. Not only is it smart to stay hydrated, downing liquids also fills your stomach and curbs hunger pangs.

Eat more "good" calories, fewer "bad" ones. Don't abandon the emphasis on nutrition that you developed while you were pregnant. For tips on eating well, see our article on the best foods for new moms.

Snack smart. Keep healthy munchables around, such as yogurt, nuts, fruit, and raw veggies. Check out these ideas for quick and nutritious snacks.

Start exercising. Remember to begin slowly. If you're resuming a pre-pregnancy workout routine, ease back into it.

Comments

• Yeah my stomach sure is more "soft" :( :(
  • Same here @ExcitedForOctober. Now that I got the okay from my OB, I'm about to hit the gym again. But it'll be in after Christmas. I want to be able to eat without guilt, lol. Plus I need to renew my membership in January anyway.
  • Im 5months pp and i still feel like a whale lol. Im a stay at home mom so its hard to work out. Adrian needs me for everything.
    Hopefully i lose weight once i start working. Im usually always slim when im working.