My parents

So I need to vent this and Facebook isn't an option. First off let me just say that I love my mom and dad. They do a lot for me and my husband and my son. My mom and I are especially close and I would be totally lost without them. That being said...sometimes I think they are completely retarded!!!!! They over indulge my son and let him eat whatever he wants. I've repeatedly talked with them about this but they still let him eat total crap. I even caught my mom giving him soda!!!! He's 2 that's not ok. My dad lets my son hit him when they're playing because "oh he's not hurting me" well guess what, I'm not ok with that because then my son gets in trouble at home or at daycare for hitting because hitting is not ok. It's mixed signals and I don't like it. We're really big on consistency and it pisses me off. My parents babysit one day a week to help us out with daycare costs and for that I am so great full but they're driving me nuts. They're older and scatter brained and my son comes home with scratches and bruises and they have "no idea how that happened" Really? My kid has a fat scratch on his face and you don't know how that happened? Then I get questions at daycare that I can't answer. It's so frustrating. I love them dearly but I almost don't want them watching him anymore. I don't want to take him away from their time but good lord I don't want my kid getting hurt because they're old and slow. My son loves his yaya and poppa too. Oh and another thing they constantly buy him stuff, which is great but I hate that they spoil him so much. I don't know what to do. I love them and they mean well but I'm ready to beat the both of them with a baseball bat. Thanks for reading my tangent I needed to get this off my chest and Facebook would have gotten back to them lol.

Comments

• Have you actually had a sit down talk with them? Maybe that's what needs to happen so they can get the point.

I totally understand you though. My mom was the same with my niece and we used to fight all the time. Now that have my son, i told her i didn't want her to do that and she got mad the first time but i think she's getting the point now.
  • I agree if u haven't talked with them it needs to come out otherwise the longer it goes on the harder it will be and the more complicated things will get. If u already have talked with them and they still do things theit way sometimes u just have to do what u have to do..after all you are the mother and know whats best for ur lo.
  • My husband and I have talked to them and they always say "oh we're sorry" and they'll do ok for a while but then they just fall back into their old habits. It's super frustrating. I don't want to be mad at them because they mean well but it's like they're retarded in their old age.
  • I'm in the same boat with my 16 yr old & my parents. The thing I can't stand is that they buy him everything he ever wants or asks for. I have tried to get them to stop for 16 yrs & when I get really mad they will stop for awhile but slowly they revert back to their old ways. I was a working single mom & I really needed their help & keeping him away was not an option. My son has Aspergers & a mood disorder & my parents indulge him because he has such a hard making or keeping friends. I won't let them spoil my girls though. I don't need their help anymore & can limit their contact if I need to. I learned my lesson & will not let them interfere with my parenting this time around. Good luck to you, I hope you can get them to comply with your wishes.
  • Well it's good that they at least know how you feel. Now you just gotta do what you feel comfortable with. I'm sorry that they always go back to the old ways I would be frustrated as well.
  • Well this is what i would do at this point. I would tell them one more time and warn them that i wont come around as much if they don't change permanently. I'd give them one last time to do as i want and keep it that way, and if they don't follow through then i would stay away as much as possible to help them understand.

I know they mean no harm, but your child is getting harmed because he's getting mixed signals like you said and that's not fair. You are the parent now and you know best.