Got my first period and a dip in milk supply.

edited November 2013 in Postpartum Health
It actually started yesterday. That would explain the dramatically huge dip in my supply yesterday, but I'm still pumping.

I wasn't sure if last month was my firsr period (5wks pp) because it was nothing like my usual periods and it didn't last long. I talked to my OB at my 6 week check up and she told me if I wasn't sure it was my period don't mark it as one. Good because I had forgot what day it started and ended.

BTW I'm 8wks pp. Any of you ladies get your period early while breastfeeding/pumping? Did it effect your supply, if so, how?

Comments

• I got my period right away and supply went down for sure. My body all together with everything went back to normal right away I think all of it had an effect on the supply but who knows.
  • Pretty sure my supply used to dip when I got my period & would then go back up again after.
  • @jules & @willothewisp: I think it was just a temporary dip. Yesterday I was hardly pumping anything I couldn't get an ounce at all. I was pumping blanks all day yesterday. Then later on that night I notice it was a little blood in my pantries. I put on a pantyliner because I didn't know if it was because of my stitches bleeding or a period. Well it was my period. Now today my supply is almost back to normal. I just hope it doesn't effect my supply for the rest of the week, because I'm working on reestablishing a decent supply and relactating DS.
  • I think you will be ok sounds like just the first day of your periods might be this way. Glad it's better today for you!
  • @jules I was googling it and a lot of women said the first day of their period caused a dip in their supply then the day after it went back up.
  • Oh good! Nothing to worry about :)
  • @jules Yeah. Just a quick question how long did you BF your babies.
  • Well I only exclusively breastfed few weeks because my supply sucked. So had to use formula on the side. But then kept on pumping until she was 6 months and giving her what I was getting which wasn't much. At that point it wasn't even worth all the stress so I stopped at 6 months and she did all formula..hopefully this time will go better if not I'm not gonna stress about it like I did last time.
  • @jules good luck... Stress is a killer.