Natural birth

edited February 2014 in Third Trimester
I want to try to have a natural birth this time around with no pain meds. I made it to 7.5 with my last one...I really hope I can donit this time. It's on my bucket list lol. Any advice to help me during my contractions? I have about 5 weeks left or a little less.

Comments

• I made it to 7 1/2 i gave up but mine was a vbac. All i would say is just hang on lol labor is horrible for me. Especially since during my vbac they gave me pitocin and kept my contractions two minutes apart for hours so my doctor could do the vbac. :\ it was painful but he had a good system it worked. I would just really advice you to breathe and hang on.
  • @salasmommy I was induced with my last one too and they kept the pitocin at...idk but my dr was pissed bc one of the nurses made it drip too quick that by the time it came to push my uterus was too tired when it came to pushing. Luckily I didn't have to push for long or I probably would have ended up with a c section. My contractions were 30 seconds apart for hours!!! It was horrible. My husband was helping me get through them and this time he won't be there. That's my only problem, I'm going to have to figure out how to manage the pain by myself. Did u have back labor or the other one?? Normal cramping labor I guess lol...and yes mine was painful as eff too!!! But here I am once again doing it again soon lol.
  • My advice would be, believe you can do it, because you can. My last birth, I ended up going in to labour when my in laws were on holiday & there's no one else I'd trust with my son so I knew I'd be going to hospital by myself so my partner could stay with him.

I stayed at home as long as possible, (don't leave it too long though, I progressed far quicker 2nd time & it took me a bit by surprise - only made it to the hospital 15 mins before I gave birth & was 9cm dilated) I kept myself distracted watching tv & playing games on my tablet, kept myself mobile in between contractions, during contractions I found kneeling & leaning on to a chair helped a long with focusing on my breathing whilst counting (it helped me to concentrate on something other than the pain & to know when each contraction was nearly over) Bit weird but sitting on a toilet is a good position to labour in, they encourage it on midwife led birthing units in the U.K.

Lastly the other thing that helped was reminding myself labour does not last forever even if it does feel like it at the time!!!
  • Well with my second I was at 7.5 when I got it but that's only because my hubby was at work and took me forever to get contact him and finally gave up trying and did what everyone else does when they need him lol his paramedic well I called dispatch but 911 so they paiged him. And it was all back labor this time sucked so bad. So in my case breathing and rubbing my back and leaning over if I was up was helping a lot. I had to be super quite my daughter was asleep so I was silent and wanted to cry so bad. With my first it was normal labor I though the entire time this is it?! So hopefully that's how it goes for you so in that case just have your phone or something play with. Watch tv maybe your best friend can be there one my good friends was really helped!
  • edited February 2014
  • @jules OMG ur daughter was there? Way to keep quiet!!! I was in such bad pain too and I had back labor. Oh man, I would have been freaking out if I were you and I couldn't get a hold of my husband!!

@willothewisp thanks or the advice! U r right....I just got to keep myself distracted as long as possible. I can do it, I have to. I really want to lol. Just this once. I'm pretty good with pain but we will c. I hope I'm not tortured long and she comes quick lol. I'm just worried bc I want to give birth where my other two were born and I live 45 minutes away. I am determined to attempt to go all the way with no meds. Have u ever heard if showering helps?? With my last I was in so much pain I didn't even want to get up. I should have walked around but I was too buy trying to strangle the nurse lol
  • Well I was at home so my daughter was in her room sleeping and my mom was here to help she was in guest room sleeping neither woke up lol. I'm used to not being able to get hold of him it's busy out there especially at night a lot of 911 calls. Good thing I had the number for dispatch to page him lol
  • U had a home birth? @jules sorry I'm confused...oh u were going into labor at home and ur baby was there...right? Lol sorry
  • After birthing 4 babies with pain medication, I had my 5th without any. All I can say, is I loved it. I had an alert baby, I remember everything, and best of all, I got to have that crazy adrenaline rush that comes after your last push. Look into hypnobirthing. It helped me a lot! Good luck dear!
  • @fate thank u!!! No I'm
    Motivated to do it even more! I plan on possibly having a fourth years down the road....maybe bc I want my boy but I definitely want to try to go all natural. I'm just a little nervous to feel the epsitomy since I had it done with both of my previous girls. Did u tear?
  • I had two episiotomies with my first two, they were 7lbs and almost 8lbs. I didn't tear at all with my third, 5lbs 11oz. Tore internally with my son 5lbs 13oz. And tore internally with my last (I guess they called it grazing), it didn't need stitches, 5lb 10oz. I wouldn't wish an episiotomy on anyone. The recovery sucks as you know. If you do go natural, they will numb your perineum with a local anesthetic before they cut it if you need one. I had the intrathecal (doesn't numb you as much as the epidural) with my first. They injected my perineum so I wouldn't feel the cut. I really hope you don't need one though!!! Just remember that when you reach 7cm, you're entering transition stage of labor which is where most people tell their doctor they want the drugs. Transition hurts, you absolutely know you're in transition. Keep your legs open, I used a ball to help. Knees to chest works too! :)
  • Neck no I wasn't gonna have home birth..I like my epi and being at the hospital since I'm high risk. Sorry for confusing you. I was just home forever lol
  • @fate I guess that's the only think I am worried about. After my daughters birth with my last, my miL had took pics and I was looking through them bc she had used my camera...well she took some as the dr was cutting me. Makes me cringe every time I think about it. If I didn't c those pics I'm sure my worries would be elsewhere But since I saw them that's what is freaking me out. Plus, like u mentioned, the recovery does suck!!!

@jules I don't think it was u, it was just my pregnant noodle brain lol. I agree, no home birth lol
  • Yes just not for me. I like being in hospital in case of an emergency. Yes I know at home you can be taken and my hubby is paramedic but if I'm already there it's much faster. Makes me feel better. Plus there's no api at home which I've loved mine both times. I just like being able to relax and take every moment in rather then try focus on breathing so I can get through the pain ya know. I'm happy for those that can do it. Once again just not for me.
  • Yeah I can totally see what u r saying and I had a good experience with an epi except my back aches in that spot where I got mine...but other then that I just want to try something different this time and see if I can do it mentally and physically. I want to push my body to it's limit and be able to be happy with that choice If that makes sense... @jules
  • I hope it goes very very well for you! You can do it! I've heard others say their back has some issue after thenk God I've never had anything from having two of them. Kinda scary.
  • I've only been able to do no epi once as I was getting it I had to push so I never got the drugs but my baby was 4.8 and didn't hurt. I couldn't imagine doing it that way with my two others 7.14 and 8.10 I needed stitches for both of them. Good luck I hope you can do it without I hear of moms doing it all the time.
  • Thank u ladies, we shall c!! I have around 30 days left
  • I was induced with my 1st because of my preeclampsia. I ended up having my bp high and not dilating (my doctor didnt want to wait anymore) and ended up in c section. My second (vbac) labor came on its own but my doctor wanted pitocin to have contractions closer together i agreed (anything to get the vbac going) it worked i actually went into labor in the middle of the night when i went to the doctor the next day i was dilated to a 4 and baby was coming. I am thinking just a lot of meditation thats what i did. But honestly i think its true what fate says because when I got to 7.5 I was in extreme/major pain and I was like drugs drugs now lmao. Not literally but something like that. Yikes I cant imagine what it must of been like to pass the stage of getting an epidural then but this time id like to.
  • How was the c section recovery? I think that's my worst fear as far as labor. Yeah I agree too bc when ur in pain u just want it to stop but I hope I can make it. Maybe it won't last long since it will b my third lol. @salasmommy
  • Oh girl no my sister in law had a natural birth with no medication and almost choked her sister in law out ... when she was helping her deliver the baby. Even my doctor that was delivering my daughter said take the epidural because mother will scream like hell without it. Too much pain and I don't want to feel it. But hey if you think you can handle I would say go ahead...
  • I had my baby on the 25th of last month and after I was in horrible pain and made it to 7 cm I decided f*ck that and decided to get it....well it didn't work! Only numbed my left leg!!! Lol needless to say I felt the whole damn thing! I got my "natural birth" lol @mylove2