wine and pregnancy is it safe

edited March 2011 in May 2011
I'm wondering if I can have a glass of wine tonight I'm in the 3rd tri I'm due may 24

Comments

• I have heard mixed things but was told by my doctor and in pregnancy books no amount of alcohol is safe because it immediately crosses the placenta so if you drink baby drinks
  • One Glass now and then later in preg phs thought to be ok. Problem is no one really knows for sure. How much does it take for fetal alcohol syndrome to kick in? Some think it depends on your tolerance, but I have an old friend who hooked up with a bar tender who drank daily before, then off and on while preg. Their daughter has fetal alcohol syndrome So I'm not really sure I have another friend who drank a glass once in a while in last trimester n was fine. So to me just seems like a gamble. Just know baby gets everything you do. Within seconds.
  • It's fine. My mother in law is a head nurse in an antipartum floor which is high risk pregnancy and she says an occasionally glass is fine. Considering it is her grandchildren, I trust her judgement. If you were in France , you would have a glass of wine daily with your dinner.
  • My doc says one glass is fine. :)
  • Ive read that a glass of red wine wont hurt. My sis is 6 months an she will drink a whole bottle like once a week lol her babe is still kickin sooo idk I guess youll just have to go with ur gut...or your doc
  • I read it was ok for a drink every night or here and there while pregnant But definitely something that I'm not goin to do or chance
  • There are no studies that show how much alcoholic exactly can cause fetal alcohol syndrome but there are plenty of women who have a glass every now and then who have healthy babys.
  • yes its fine...i had it once in a while and my baby was perfectly fine and healthy.
  • Thank you everyone I ended up not having a glass just drank juice in a wine glass lol
  • wonderful
  • I hear its ok once in a while but since nothing for certain I've opted for non alcoholic wine in a fancy wine glass so I can feel like a big girl lol!
  • People also think that smoking weed every once in a while is fine til their baby is 3 years old and still can't talk. I wouldn't risk anything. Any amount of alcohol can do harm. Your baby may still be kicking now and be normal when its born, then 2 or 3 years down the road it starts having development problems