when to start getting ready for baby?

edited March 2011 in August 2011
with this being my first chid, i don't know even the simplest things about preparing. when is the right time to start buying for the baby? or when did you guys start buying? we are a very low income family, so we have to start kind of soon, or else we'll never accomplish anything before the baby gets here, i'm just not sure how soon is too soon. i'm 15 weeks, and i don't want to start buying, then something happen where i'm stuck looking at a room full of baby stuff. any advice?

and, does anyone know of a store/website where baby things are cheap? i looked on ebay, but i'm kind of skeptical about buying from there.

thanks ladies! :)

Comments

• I always start once I find out the sex so I don't have to buy neutral. I love consignment stores. Walmart and target are. Also great. Good luck and congrats!
  • Most places have 2nd hand baby stores that are really nice, also try Craigslist. I would suggest buying things as soon as you know the gender. Baby showers are great too. Congrats ;)
  • Im really young and i also have to start early cause im not gonna be able to buy everything at once. Im only about 13 weeks but im gonna start soon buying the bassinet and stroller and things like that that you can buy neutral
  • @bigmamak.. that's what we were thinking about doing. we've looked into baby stores around here, and the neutral selection was ugly and small. i hate to put it that way, but it is. lol. so we decided to wait until we found out the gender (end of this month, or beginning of april). i'm just a little worried that we'll be tight on time. maybe i'm over-reacting. thanks!

@coolbabybeans.. i never would have thought about that! :) my brain isn't up to it's full potental here lately. lol. thanks!
  • I would wait until about 20 weeks to start buying; that way 'if' something were to happen, your baby actually has a chance for survival. Just start with little things you see at good prices & go from there. You can also keep the tags on & receipts & most places will let you return things within a month or two should something awful happen.
    I would start with clipping coupons for everything from diapers, to diaper cream and baby wash or shampoo. I found most generic brand diapers were NOT worth it with my first; they were like wearing a paper bag instead of a diaper & didn't absorb $hit! (Pun intended :D ). I went with Luvs for the most part... they're hard to find coupons for, but are usually cheaper than Huggies or Pampers even w/o a coupon.
    I would look at gently used baby consignment stores for larger items like high chairs & strollers, etc. and clothing. You can also find great deals on baby clothing shopping Target & Walmart clearance racks...
    Hope this helps! :)
  • @mamaikailee.. the things i can buy that aren't gender orientated, like cribs, etc, i'm going to get asap, but if we don't have to go neutral, we aren't. it just all seems so plain to me. lol. maybe i'm so used to seeing either pink or blue that i can't picture anything else..? :) but, thanks. good luck with your pregnancy!
  • @vette_devil.. that's definatly a good idea, but unfortunatly, i don't think it would work for us :( we could always save money and wait, but from past experiences, there's always something that comes up, and just HAS to be done. but, we've definatly been clipping some coupons! i've found mulitple ones that don't expire until late 2012! we've actually decided to continue clipping for different things, and you'd be surprised at how much money you actually save with those little pieces of paper! :) and, i totally agree with you about the diapers. we tried the off name wal-mart brand for my nephew... BAD IDEA. so, we decided to go with the cheapest name brand, which is apparently luvs. by the way do you know if Sam's carries them? &&thanks for all the help! :)
  • Luvs are great and try craigslist
  • @newmommy The only thing, outside of perishables, medical items, and food, you absolutely want to invest money into is a new crib. Older or used cribs can be dangerous for baby. For instance, several of the beds I have come across in a local consignment store have been drop side cribs, which were banned in 2010 by the CPSC because of the risk of injury or death of infants. If you are unfamiliar with this type of bed, you may unknowingly purchase one. Older or used beds may also contain high amounts of lead or other poisonous chemicals, and there may be unknown wear on the joints, railing, or frame which could result in injury. I would start saving early for this item, since they tend to run on the expensive side if you are on a longer income.

In fact, if you are afraid of buying too early in case of unforeseen events but still want to start on something, a great way would be to open up a short term savings account at your local bank and have your bank set it up where it automatically takes a small sum of money from your checking account each week or paycheck. You mentioned that you have tried saving in the past and something has always come up, so you might want to look into putting that money into a CD. Granted, you usually have to have a certain amount to open one, but it will build interest and certain banks have it set up where you will not be able withdraw your money until the set time (such as three/six/nine months). This way you will have money by the time you are ready to buy, and you cannot spend it on something you did not intend it for. :)
  • I recommend signing up for other baby related sites. I've gotten several free samples from Enfamil, Simlac, Luvs, Pampers, etc. and a ton of coupons. I don't know where you're located, but we have a site here called bookoo.com that is similar to Craigslist. I got my Travel System (car seat, stroller and car seat base) off that site for $75 and it looks brand new.
  • edited March 2011
    Do you have a local Babies R Us? I used to work there last year, and the one where I worked constantly had coupons for 20% off any baby item in store - and it usually applied it to the most expensive item on the list! If you sign up for the baby registry and the rewards program, you get a booklet of coupons for different types of products throughout the months (food, clothes, and furniture being the biggest). The clearance clothes are a great place to glance, too, as they often had outfits and separates as low as $1.

Most of the items I listed in this particular post can wait until the last two/three months of pregnancy. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We used a playpin that had the bassinet thing in it a lot and that way you don't have get a crib right off and its a two for one kind of thing
  • Sorry, hon... we don't have a Sams near here so I couldn't tell you if they carry Luvs. I did see on someone else's post a while back something about a certain brand of diapers they got at Sams that worked very well- but for the life of me, I can't recall what they were called... something with a B maybe? Lol... maybe you could search the forum for "sams diapers"? Good luck! :)
  • I started after I found out my gender. I buy lots of clearance items! Or if you know any family member that had babies and not plan in having anymore, maybe ask what were their plans on old baby items. I would recommend starting early and looking for great deals!
  • After 3 months my bf and I started getting automatic withdraw from our checks into a savings account. We didn't want to start buying anything until we found out the gender (which is now a girl :)) - so we figured that would be apretty decent head start incase we needed to get stuff after the baby showers.
    I painted her room/nursery when I was 31 weeks pregnant & also had her changing table and crib set up before I turned 33 weeks. (I hadn't even registered for the baby shower until 27 weeks pregnant... a little late lol).
    Now after having our first shower, we got mostly everything we needed EXCEPT for bottles and diapers! Good thing we started saving the money hen we did because have you checked out the prices of diapers.?!!
    Shower #2 is tomorrow so hoping we get some bottles and diapers from that one lol. If not was thinking about having a "diaper party" before giving birth.. and having some family and friends over for some free food and drinks if they bring a thing of diapers! :)
    We're now 35 weeks +1 so it'd have to be sooner than later !
    Good luck to all you ladies!
  • We got cloth diapers 20 with 2 inserts for $120 on luvyourbaby.com great deal if u want to save and go that way. Also just got a little bit here and there. As so as we found out. If something was on sale in neutral tone like winter stuff we just did some math to find what size to get for next year... I don't spend more then $20 a week just put all the stuff in a tote went looking in it the other day have sooooo much stuff. Love sales. And I still have not found out the sex only 17 weeks today. Just a little here and there adds up quickly
  • Kmart does layaways still. 2nd hand baby stres r great, n so is craiglist. I like 2 start whn I knw the sex 4 the major thngs but 4 bottles n lil thngs like that I usually waited til I knw the baby is ok n grown fine. Im a low income family 2 n this is my 4th so I knw how it is. Baby showers r great 2. Good luck
  • @newmommy where do you live? http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBQQFjAA&url=http://www.bookoo.com/&ei=x79yTfS-BYXEgQeHvqHtBA&usg=AFQjCNHs6VNH3_kywXsgqOSh3xp1TdMx-A

This is a link to the website I was telling you about. They are more abundant among military installations, but it's worth a shot to try to find your area.
  • My dad wants to get me a diaper service certificate for the first 6 months the baby is here. What's everyones opinion on cloth diapers? I know id save A LOT of money on diapers if I went that route, esp because it'd be a gift.. but I've heard horror stories about cloth diapers..