CLOTH DIAPERS vs. DISPOSABLE

edited March 2011 in April 2011
Well, as a gift my dad wants to get me a diaper service for 6 months. I understand that would save me A LOT of money, considering it'd be a gift to me, but I've heard horror stories about using cloth diapers. I'm leaning more towards disposable ones but would like to get other mothers opinions on it as this is my first baby! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Maybe u can try it or ask him to out the money towards something else. I've never used them..... Well yes I have, as a burp cloth. Lol
  • Cloth diapers are WAYYYYY cheaper in the long run, and really are not that hard to use. They are a lot better for the environment too!!!
  • Lol I actually heard that using them as burp cloths is better than regular burp cloths because they absorb their throw up better! :)
  • Cheaper is sometimes a lot better, esp now a days. And I wouldn't have to be buying any diapers as the diaper service provides them all, picks them up on a weekly basis, drops off clean ones, and washes the soiled.
    Would it be okay to primarely use the cloth while at home, but if out and about to use disposable?
  • I'm planning on using cloth diapers and only using disposable ones if I run out or if I'm going out and don't bring any cloth ones with me for some reason. I've heard stories about leaks, but you can get diaper covers that help control leaks.
  • Any particular reason for the cloth, @victoriaB ?
  • I like that they're environmentally friendly. Disposable diapers don't biodegrade. I think certain brands do, but they're probably expensive and harder to find than huggies or pampers. The only problem I foresee if I can't afford the diaper service, but use cloth anyway is I live in an apartment and it costs $2.50 to do one load. I also heard that its easier to potty train your baby if you use cloth diapers. The baby can feel that they are wet. I also heard something about cloth diapers being better for their skin. I guess.they don't get diaper rash as easy?
  • I plan on using cloth diapers at home and only using disposables on trips or when we're out.
  • I use cloth when I was a nanny. Loved them. Never had a problem with leaking and I took care of twins so the diapers got a lot of use out of them. As being the caregiver and never having used CD I found them easy and there never leak in less u go hours with out changing like people do with DD. as for my own we had got CD from love ur babe.com I found great deals same as the $20 diapers I got 20 for $120!!!
  • I have heard using cloth diapers are a nightmare. Better off with disposables. I was thinking to use cloth till i heard it was alot harder and messier
  • I think victoriab, has a gooood idea!
  • I've done a lot of reading on this and my plan is cloth at home and disposables during travel time and outings
  • @victoriaB : when I was a baby I needed cloth diapers because I was allergic to disposable.. my mother said it was a nightmare lol.

@bex and @loveourlittleone : that's what I was thinking but I hear that once you started using a certaint brand or kind of diaper it wasn't good to switch.?
  • Kids at work switch brands all the time. Doesn't seem to bother them.

I kind of want to use cloth diapers at home. My mom did with my twin sisters for a while to save money and it wasn't too bad. She would presoak them in a bucket borax water to help kill odor, then dump it into the washer and run it on hot. And just flushed the poop down the toilet to prerinse the ick. I have a front loading HE machine, but I could use the apartment's washer for $3.25 to wash and dry. $3.25/per day or every other day sounds pretty reasonable.

On the other hand, my baby will be at my mom's for most of the day 5 days a week for child care. Don't think I want to push that on her. It will barely save me money with how many diapers I'll change at home. And Costco diapers really aren't bad.

I like the idea of saving money. I like it a lot. So a diaper service probably won't be an option for me. Besides, I heard they might be just as bad on the environment considering the chemicals, waste run off, and delivery trucks. I'm also afraid they could get more expensive as gas prices rise.
  • Disposable here not messing with cloth my lifestyle is too busy. I have trouble keeping up with normal laundry duties of a house of 5 when we add baby laundry on top of that forget dealing with cloth dispersed.... they make great burp rags though! Kudos to those of you with the time and patience to do cloth diapers. Cost wise I always like generic. Brand diapers anyways!
  • @pamicakes, that seems to depend on the child and how sensitive they are. Sometimes it's a material thing but disposable diapers actually have a lot of chemicals in them. For this reason I'll be making sure the disposables I buy have nothing potentially harmful in them but as with many naturally made products, they're expensive so it'll be nice to have cloth diapering to offset that cost.
  • Well ladies im pretty sure all I have used are disposable and I'm am gonna use cloth now y'all are so coinvincing lol I know this conversation wasn't for me but you are very helpful thanks
  • Go to cottonbabies.com. Cloth diapers are not what they used to be. They are easy to use and way better than they used to be. I highly recommend it.
  • I use disposables but heard nothing but good things about cloth. Plus theyre cuter!!!!!
  • I use disposables but heard nothing but good things about cloth. Plus theyre cuter!!!!!