crib or playyard?

edited March 2011 in Sleep
I've been reading some opinions here n there that I've found on cribs vs play yards.
i was planning on getting this big fancy crib with a changing table attached from babies r us but the more i think about it I'm unsure now. I've already bought i super nice play yard with the bottom that rises up for infants and it also has an attachable changing station and all that stuff. Should i just use that for sleeping until he is old enough for a toddler bed?
Technically it would save money and space. Does he really need a crib? And its important that he will NOT be co sleeping with me.

I've been tossing this around my mind for a couple weeks now and i could really used some advice and opinions from moms who have used one or both thanks so much

Comments

• @babyboyontheway my first pregnancy I bought a crib, but my daughter preferred a play pen. My second daughter I just bought a play pen again n she loved it! In on my third pregnancy, a boy and I got another play pen. I switch them to a toddler bed around 2. I've never had a problem at all n they love it. It also saves alot of space!! :) I'm all for them! I couldn't live with out the play pen or a swing!! I got a swing this time that plugs into the wall, so I'm going to save alot on batteries! ;)
  • what is a play pen is that like a porta cot, both my boys have cots they turn 1 I take tge side off bam toddler bed my oldest I put in a single bed at 1.5 my 1yo still in cot wuth side off sleeps all night, if a playpen is a cot u can fold up n put away I have had one collapse on my son n would not recommend them for everyday use goodluck :)