is any one familiar with tricare?

I just recently married a soldier and enrolled in tricare (military insurance). the insurance rep who we met with explained that I would have to get a referral from a primary care doctor to an obgyn. she told me I had to chose a primary care dr on the spot-so I just picked from a list of names. I called to make an apt today and that dr wasnt taking on new patients. my question us, why can't I keep my current primary care dr? when you first started tricare, what did you do? please help!

Comments

• I have tricare. You have to go with the doctor that accepts that insurance. As long as they accept it your good.
  • I think your doc just has to contact them or something.
  • ok that's what I hoped. thanks guys
  • Yw. Good luck
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You can go on tricares website...it has a list of doctors and tons of other info. You can even make appts over the computer...at least you could at camp lejeune. I had to pick off a list the first time too...i didnt like to doc so I switched to a new one. you can ask if your current doctor take tricare though. You might get lucky...
  • I kept the doctor I had since he took tricare. I was told I didn't need a referral to my ob as long as they also took tricare. I moved to California with my husband in September and still to this day have only ever seen my ob not a pcm. I believe it might depend on what plan you are on with tricare but don't quote me on that.

I honestly would just call tricare and ask them any questions you might have. Their number is on the website.
  • I believe you can only keep your ob/gyn if your sponser enrolled you in tricare standard. I'm tricare Prime so I have to go to my base contracted ob/gyn.