in the army?

edited January 2011 in Military moms
They have given me the choice to stay or leave....
What are ur opinions on rising a baby in the army? Pros and cons?

Comments

• Go home and retire its not safe for you and your child
  • I had my first in the Navy. He would be in daycare anywhere from 14 to 16 hours a day. He got a fever of 104.4 at two months and had to stay in the hospital for a week... scary. I think it had something to do with 4 shots at a time. Their little bodies can't always handle so much all at once. I was a young, new mom and didn't have the voice for my kids that I do now. And you know how the military is with getting stuff done their way:P Maybe it has something to do with his autism... idk. Now I only allow them to get one shot at a time... AND, lucky my time was up to get out when he was 3 months. Easy decision... I got out and stayed home. I never wanted a military lifestyle for my kids... to unstable. Hope everything works out for you:)
  • I am in the army and I have a 3 year old and I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with number 2. My husband is prior service military and I must say that I was having a hard time making the decision to stay in or not. I waited til the last possible day to reenlist but so glad that I made the choice to do it. I do agree that my child stays in daycare 11 or 12 hours a day but she enjoys it and I spend all my weekends and time off with her doing fun stuff. I mean where else do you have this good of insurance you don't pay for and 30 days off that are paid a year. Hope that whichever you decide works out great for you and the baby!
  • Im 24wks along and active duty in the air force. I thought about getting out now but I think I will just try to finish up my two years that I have left and get out. My husbands in the AF too and he wants to make a career out of it but I want to get more financly stable and get some schooling out of the way before I get out
  • I was gettin ready to mob when I was preg with my first. I got out because I didnt want to be deployed with a child. I make more money now than I ever would in the Army.. Plus u can use your GI bill when u get out. I have just as good benefits and get to spend lots of time with my babies. My oldest is 6 now & I couldnt imagine having someone else watch my kid for 10+ hrs a day. I was a civi before a soldier so it worked out best for me.. My bro is a chief in the Navy & is hardly around his fam.. Sure he makes good money but missing birthdays and being away from your fam is time you dont get back.. Tricare will still cover u through the pregnancy since it happened while u were still active.
  • Yeah i have a few locs from my early days and I don't know if that would hinder me from getting out. I went right from high school to being military and I don't know if I can handle life outside of military as.funny as that sounds
  • I guess to each his own:) but I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be at home with my kids.
  • I know I want to stay home with my baby especially the first few years. I might change my mind though when may comes around and I have her. ;;)
  • Active army 23 weeks pregnant with my second I have a 2 yr old already its hard but their dad works Friday to sunday (40+ hrs) we don't get much time together but at least our kids are at home more than at a day care n I'm staying in for the career safe money away know your getting a pay check
  • Thats true @itsaGIRL the military is the safest job security right now and as much as I don't want to miss out on those special moments with my child(ren) I know at least i'll be able to provide for them.
  • I'm a single mom n the army nd they give u a choose 2 stay nd leave honestly me I'm stayin cuz this is all I how this is how ima take care nd my child even tho itz harder bein a single parent n the militarty
  • When I first found out I was pregnant I was all for staying in and finishing my contract. The dad is also in the military and we have to wait a few months to get married. Anyway he is going to ntc this week and deploying in july he will miss the birth. But since I've been being tossed around and seeing how much my unit is lacking with preparation to deploy and realizing that this crazy lifestyle is okay for me but I wouldn't want my child to surer with two military parents so im going to get out as soon as I know my partner and I can get married. One military parent is enough I don't want my child being in daycare all day or getting jumbled between different sitters.
  • My hubby is national guard and I deploy next march for 9 months and when I get back he will be going for 6 it sux but like I said job security. These days in America 90% of people a struggling for money. I'd rather not be one of them or put my kids in poor situations.
  • I got out b/c my bf (now hubby) was active duty and made way more than I did. BUT if we had decided to not stay together I was not getting out. Like they said before... job security. Civ world is hard especially if you are a lower enlisted/jr NCO and I would have had my family there to take her for the field and schools times. Pay and benefits are better than civilian unless you have a good back ground to fall back on.
  • I think that if u love ur job then stay in....I'm in the army n my husband also is in....I'm 12 weeks and I have to go in the morning to talk to my commander about staying in....if u have a good support system and u love ur job then I would stay in....its all up to if u think that u and ur support system can handle it.....