amniocentesis??? is it obligatory?

edited March 2011 in August 2011
Hi ladies, I have a question. I went w my doctor and she scheduled an appt for me to get my blood work done AGAIN that tests for HIV, blood sugar, etc. But I had this done with her at the beginning of my pregnancy and all my tests came out fine! Also she said I would be getting an amniocentesis done to check for down syndrome and spina bifida. However, I'm not so sure I want that test run anymore. I did my research and its a little risky about 1 in 200 or 1 in 400 run the risk of miscarriage. I'm not an older mom and my pregnancy has been wonderful so far and I jjust don't see why I should take the risk. What should I do? I'm a little nervous and scared they will end up pressuring me into having that procedure done!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Its totally up to the mom. Except when you are over 35. I'm am getting it done also because ijustfound out iwas having a boy, and I have genetic traits that could potentially create issues for boys born to me. I go in today. It would be frightning to loose my baby,but I'm praying everything goes well.
  • Amniocentesis is optional I told them I didn't want it done with my first and I don't plan on doing it with this one either. Too many risks for me personally. I think the bloodwork is fine I would do it but not he other test
  • Thanks! I just don't know why they didn't offer it to me or ask, they just kind of told me I would be getting it, and since I was still shaky after getting a pap done I sort of just nodded to everything she said, but yes I think I'm going to pass on this test, I don't feel its necessary and I don't want to feel anymore stressed than I already am!
  • edited March 2011
    I just got an amnio done on Friday. My blood work came back and they said there was a 3% chance our baby could have downs:( But a 97% chance she is okay. We chose to do the test just to know what to prepare for. I am sure she is fine, but we would like to know for sure.
    I have also heard the blood test called the quad fraud because it throws out false positives all the time.
    The amnio was not that bad. I was so scared leading up to it though. It has a .5% chance of causing a miscarriage. I did fine and am fine now.
    If you don't want to do it you don't have to, it is fully your choice.
    Good luck with everything!
  • Baby should for sure be fine if you do go thru with it. I swore I would never have it done. I have had two miscarriages in the past and a preterm birth. I lost my son shortly after he came home. So risking another baby scared the crap out of me. But they told me how vitial it was this time that it needed to be done, so I agreed. I was going into preterm labor, so they wanted to make sure everything was okay with the fluids next to my baby. Thankfully everything was fine with it and they were able to stop my labor. Its scary, but it may save your baby. It is up to you tho. Your doc can give you all the advice in the world, but it is your decision.