does depression effect the pregnancy

edited March 2011 in First Trimester
I just lost my grandpa who I was very close to, I've been very emotional and crying none stop, is this going to effect my pregnancy? I'm 12 weeks pregnant and really worried cause everytime I get real upset I start cramping and my lower back hurts, has anyone experienced this?

Comments

• There's a difference between depression and grief. The problem with depression is that it lasts longer and depressed women may not take care of their body while pregnant. Grieving will be good for you.

Don't know about the cramping and back pain. I would get checked out if there is any spotting or bleeding.
  • My grandma died two days before I found out I was pregnant and then my great grandma died when I was 8 months pregnant. Its important to grieve and let that take its course. Dont feel so sad, celebrate his life and good memories instead of focusing on the bad. U can get thru it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know when I get upset or angry I start hurting and I worry its affecting My unborn son plus I'm six months pregnant
  • Thank you ladies, I know I might sound silly to some people but its just that women in my culture scare me by telling me that I'm not suppose to cry or get upset cause it'll hurt the babies, some dont even want me going to the funeral wich is unacceptable to me. But anyway, I appreciate your advice and input :)
  • Chronic clinical depression might have some effect, but grieving shouldn't ...holding it in will just make it worse. Let it all out