what do i actually do?

edited March 2011 in UK
Hello. I am 5 Weeks 4 days with my first baby. I went to docs at about 4 weeks, filled in the dental and free prescription form and that was it. Got no leaflets or advice or anything. When do i see a midwife and do i need to do anything or will they just call? I am in the process of changing doctors, will that matter or is all the midwife scan stuff done through hospital anyway? I just need advice as don't want to leave stuff too late. I am eating healthier and taking my folic acid. Thanks in advance for any help. X

Comments

• When u transfer they will request all ur info from ur previous doc. But most won't see u until ur 10wks I believe. Ull b fine just continue to do what ur doing. When u see the doc ull get all the info u need if u don't, don't be afraid to ask. By this being ur first always ask questions if u don't know
  • ... are you trying to get approved for something? If not, I would call an make an appt. I wouldn't wait around hoping they'll call.
  • No not waiting for approval or anything just feel i should be doing something, mainly due to being olds excited. And very impatient! Thanks guys.
  • A lot depends on your doctor. Some will send you in for an early ultrasound to visually confirm & more acurately date your pregnancy; others will make you wait until a certain week (like 10) to do anything. You don't HAVE to use a midwife if your doctor is able to deliver babies, but I have & will again w/ this one because they are great. As long as you are getting reglular prenatal checkups (once a month, plus initial blood work & tests), you don't need to see a midwife or Obstetrician until around 18-20 weeks when its possible for a baby to be born prematurely instead of being considered a miscarriage. Good luck & keep doing what you are doing for now until you get your doctors switched. :)
  • Guessin u from UK usually have first appointment around 8-10 weekz were they arrange scan just let new doctors know your pregnant and they will either book appointment then or give you nunber to ring for local midwives, my old docs i had to make appointment thru them but new one i had to ring local midwives
  • Thanks guys. Sami yes i am f rom UK, sounds like it depends on doctor alot! I was so hyped when i went to docs i honestly can't even remember what she said! Lol
  • Just contact your new doctors, when you move. Let them know your pregnant and they'll probably arrange an appointment with the midwife when you're in week 8 - 10. I was given a pregnancy pack, with info and all the notes that you take to every appointment. Where abouts are you from?
  • Yeah well i moved from south yorkshire to east yorkshire after seeing midwife in south at 6 weeks they rushed appointment thru at east though cos i could've been a month further on but i'm not now 12 weeks :) they booked scan tho there and then were has at south i had to wait for her to send a slip of to hospital first its weird how places are so different lol
  • edited March 2011
    Can't wait to be twelve weeks and finally have a scan! Will come round quick tho i guess!
    I am from Lincoln what about u?
  • Yeah it really does i thought it was going to drag!! but it never :D
  • I'm from gloucestershire. It may be slightly different where you are, but your doctors should be able to point you in the right direction. Hope it all goes well for you.