Quitting Smoking

edited June 2013 in Pregnant
So I started smoking earlier this year maybe February? (I know bad decision, but I have an anger problem and it seriously calmed me down.) When I found out I was pregnant on May 26th I quit cold turkey. I been reading that it can put the baby into stress and cause a mc if you quit cold turkey. I've been craving it tremendously to the point I'm dreaming about it. This might be a stupid question and i will talk to my doctor on Friday but should i gradually cut back or just stay cigarette free?
I know alot of people who smoked through their pregnancies and their babies came out very sick. I also heard of people who smoked through their pregnancies and their babies are perfectly healthy. I wouldn't EVER take a chance of hurting my baby and I don't plan on smoking through pregnancy. I'm just trying to find the best way to quit without stressing the baby out.
*Please no bashing

Comments

• Quitting is super hard, I've never done it successfully. I have an idea you could run by your doctor, what about the ecigs? They have the nicotine in them but none of the harsh chemicals of a cigarette. Plus it's getting less pricey to get ecigs. Whatever choice you make I wish you the best of luck. Also congrats on your pregnancy!
  • @pineapple07 That's a good idea :) Ill look it over. Thank you so much :)
  • It took me about a month and half after I found out I preggo to quit. I think if you haven't had one since then, I would try really hard not to have one.... or maybe all you need is a few puffs here and there to ease the craving. See what your dr says. I know it will be tough, but you will do what is best for your baby. :) Stressing aboutit won't help either. Just take it one day at a time :)
  • I'm currently TTCing and its been a big concern of mine. I'm being a slacker about seeing a doctor because of the way I've been treated before.
  • @stillsurprised I think maybe a few puffs here and there is all i need but I'm terrified to god forbid have something happen to the baby because of my own selfish doings. But than again I don't want to put the baby under stress because its all i can think about lately. Congratulations on quitting :)
  • @pineapple07 It will happen when you least expect it :) I don't mean for this to sound rude at all but what have they done? :( doctors suck now'a days.
  • I think a few puffs here and there to calm the cravings would do a lot less harm than smokinga whole cig every time. I think the ecigs might be a good idea, but definitely talk to your dr... I know it will be tough, but I know you will figure out what is best for you and your baby. :)
  • I quit cold turkey with my first and baby was fine. she is now 8 years old.
  • @stillsurprised Thank you so much for your help :) i think I'm actually going to talk to her tomorrow. I have to go there and take a blood test anyways so why not.
  • @mommyof1g1b Did you have major cravings for it?
  • Almost every doctor I have talked to about my struggle to conceive just blame it on my weight. Yes I am obviously overweight but they wouldn't even run any tests or offer any advice other than lose weight. Only one doctor suggested that I look in to pcos and I wasn't even seeing her for anything fertility related!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @pineapple07 Wow, I'm so sorry. I'm overweight too and i got pregnant quicker than I expected. Just hang in there. It will happen when its time. Losing weight is not as easy as it sounds. They should atleast run tests to see if anything else is wrong.
  • Best way is cold turkey. I know how hard it is cu I have quit during each of my pregnancies. Since you haven't had one since 5/26 the nicotine is already out of your system, you will have the cravings for a while probably. Quitting is hard regardless but its so much healthier for you and your baby. Keep strong hun..
  • @jessibear Thank you so much. I'm just going to leave it at cold turkey. I already feel bad i smoked the first month without knowing i was pregnant .
  • I couldn't quit when I was pregnant :( I smoked every Sunday because that was the only day I was away from my fiancé. My smoking caused HUGE arguments and almost broke us up. He still doesn't know almost 2 years later but I'd rather keep it that way. While I was pregnant we went to the mall and bought a big ecig kit it was like over $200 o_0 the man selling them said it was completely safe to use during pregnancy. So after we bought it I did some research and we found out it was still harmful to the baby. My doctor also said the same thing. I think it would've been safer to smoke that over regular cigarettes.. But josh decided we had to take it back. I definately plan to quit completely if I get pregnant again. @MommyLovesSparkle
  • Wait, u don't want to take Tylenol while pregnant (that was u wasnt it?)but ur considering smoking while pregnant?? Makes no sense! U did a good job stopping cold turkey... Keep it that way.
  • Don't mean this to be rude but addictions will make u try to find any excuse to keep on with the habit, there is no way I would start again if I was able to stop. Your baby will be fine.
  • edited June 2013
    If you were able quit cold turkey, starting again because of something you read online wouldn't make much sense. It almost seems like you're trying to justify it. Either way, don't do it. I smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey the moment I got my bfp.
  • If you've been done since the 26th I wouldn't start again. You've quit! Congrats!
  • If you haven't had a cigarette since the 26th, just leave it at that and don't start back up.
    I've never smoked in my life, so i have no idea what that's like and i don't want to judge.
  • You're doing awesome!! What a great mommy you are!!
    I cannot get hubby to quit dipping and this is my second pregnancy, I told him moms quit smoking cold turkey all the time.
    Keep up the great work!! :X
  • I agree u did great just stopping no way there can be any damage just stopping out of no where it doesn't put u in destress more of a mental thing. So why would it do to a growing baby who was bately introduction to it sounds like stupid theory someone came up with who was trying to quite and used it as an excuse. But I'm no professional on this subject. I think it's good u quite never go back!
  • I quit cold turkey with both my boys. It was actually alot easier than i thought it would be.
  • Just remember this smoking is a factor in sids or still birn babies not saying it happens all the time but u shouldn't risk it
  • @chels I'm sorry :( i understand its super hard.

@mommyof3girls Yep that is me. I wasn't considering it because i couldn't ever put my baby into that situation, as i said before even if my doctor said it would be okay i still probably wouldn't do it. I was just wondering if it was best to keep it at cold turkey or wean myself off.

@excitedforoctober See that's what I was trying to figure out. Am I just looking for an excuse? or Is this seriously bad to stress out the baby? I keep asking myself those questions but when it comes down i don't even know if I'm looking for an excuse. (If that makes sense.)
  • edited June 2013
    @starrxoxo9 Who knows what's even going on, I'm actually happy i stopped rather than continued. I really don't think I'm going to do it anyways. Congratulations tho.

@NatashaLynn thank you :)

@perly I'm not going to.

@Kimberly4411 Thank you so much :) That really lifted my spirits :)

@Jules lol maybe the people I've seen that said it online were just making an excuse. That's genius. I didn't think of that.

@sands3 congratulations :)

@2lilblessings wow. I didn't know that. I'm definitely not smoking at all.
  • My doctor said cold turkey could be very harmful to baby. But if you already quit def don't restart. I was at a pack a day now down to 2 or 3 a day.
  • @mommylovesparkle I did have a lot of cravings and with me not working during that pregnancy I fulfill every craving and gained a lot of weight.