I'm so worried...

edited July 2013 in Pregnant
I have Type 2 diabetes, and I have always had it under control. When I started trying to conceive in January I had a blood test A1C done and it was 6.7, which anything 7 or under doesn't cause any higher risk of birth defects. Well I found out I was pregnant on Friday & so I was checking my blood sugar, it was on the high side so Monday morning I went to regular doctor (cause Kaiser won't let you see the OB until you're 8 weeks. My A1C was 7.3. I researched & it said that 7.2 or higher has a 14% higher risk for birth defects. I started on insulin today so I will be able to control my blood sugar from today on. But I'm worried that I might have already harmed my baby. I feel guilty that I wasn't checking my sugars daily since January.

Comments

• Don't stress, just pray.
  • Don't stress as stress isn't good for baby either, I'm sure things will be fine. How far along are you?
  • .1 I don't think will make that much difference. My A1c was 8 when I got pregnant with my daughter. She is a perfectly healthy 21mo old. As long as you monitor your blood sugar and take your insulin you should be just fine :) I have type 2 diabetes, and we are trying for #2 right now. Don't stress. :)
  • @jessibear I'm only 5 weeks but this the most important time for blood sugar to be controlled nexus this is when the heart & spine ate forming.

@stillsurprised Thanks that makes me feel better. Good luck, hope you get pregnant soon. Are you on insulin or are you taking oral meds? I have a 21 month old too, this will be baby#3 for me.
  • Right now just metformin. I only have to use insulin when I get preggo ;) Thanks... we need all the good thoughts we can get hehe